Church of St. John the Baptist constructed 1944, 10 miles south and 3 miles west of Kindersley; R.M. 290.
KINDERSLEY — The church of St. John the Baptist is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1944 on a two acre site ten miles south and three miles west of Kindersley. Bishop Andrew Roborecki last celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on September 2, 1972.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 40 x 24 feet, with a polygonal west wall. Its interior and exterior walls are finished in painted narrow wood siding, the gable roof is shingled and fans out in a complementary form above the west end of the structure. The east front entrance has an adjoining porch and two towers apexed by domes and crosses; a third cross appears at the front summit of the gable roof. In the interior the polygonal sanctuary contains the main altar, the nave contains several rows of pews on corresponding sides of the tetrapod. The church patron representation and images of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ Who Loves Mankind are glass mounted oil prints. A high vaulted ceiling dominates the church interior, the church floor is constructed of wood and is partially carpeted. Lighting is with candles, heating is by a wood burning heater. Construction of the church was realized through the private financial donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners. Chief foreman of the construction was Paul Palamar. The two acre church site was donated to the parish by Dmytro Kozitsky.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1912 predominantly from the Husiatyn and Buchach counties. The parish was organized during the construction of the parish church; prior to this the settlers attended holy services at the neighbouring parishes and also commuted to St. George’s church in Saskatoon.
The parish was founded by 15 families, m 1961 there were 60 souls (Directory), in 1975, 7 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Dean Peter Kryworuchka, acting pastor, Walter Paslawski, Nick Bohachek, Dmytro Kozitsky, Kath-erine Kozitsky and Sally Paslawski.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. John the Baptist, Kindersley, is under the pastoral charge of Swift Current
Kindersley - St. John the Baptist Cemetery
Kindersley - St. John the Baptist Church
Regina Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Administrator - St. Basil/Montmartre District
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; (Cell) 306-590-7900
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl, Vice-Dean
Administrator - St. Athanasius/Moose Jaw District
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Chaplin, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary