Church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1947-1948 in Krydor; R.M.435.
KRYDOR — The church of the Sacred Heart is the second church of the parish.
The first parish church was under the patronage of St. Demetrius and was constructed m 1910 one mile west of Krydor. The two acre site was donated by Oleksa Worobetz; church construction was carried out by parish volunteers under the foremanship of Hryhoriy Saganski. In 1919 the church was visited by Bishop Nicetas Budka. In 1950 it was dismantled; its salvaged material was utilized in the construction of a rectory.
The second parish church under the patronage of the Sacred Heart was constructed in 1947-1948 on a seven lot site in south-westerly Krydor. As in the first church, construction was accomplished through the financial donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners. Chief contractor of the construction was Joseph Janishewski of Edmonton. The church was blessed in 1948 by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 70 x 40 feet, with a shingled gable roof and two frontal towers apexed by cupolas. Its walls contain rectangular windows with arched summits. In the interior the church has a vaulted ceiling and an elevated sanctuary with the main altar. The choir loft is above the vestibule and partially projects over the nave. There are three glass mounted oil prints in the church; the church patron representation is behind the main altar, the two traditional representations of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ Who Loves Mankind are found in the nave. As in the majority of churches, the two holy images in the nave have small votive altars upon which the faithful place lighted candles and flowers.
The tetrapod with a cross, a picture of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and candles stands at the center aisle of the nave directly before the main altar. On corresponding sides of the tetrapod, rows of wooden pews fill the entire length of the nave and provide seating for approx. 200 persons. The church basement is finished and contains rooms which serve the various organizational needs of the parish. The entire structure has electricity and central gas heating.
Near the church is a mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1949 which was directed by Rev. Gregory Shyshkowych, CSSR. The masonry bell tower with three bells was designed by Dr. H. Woytiuk and was constructed near the church in 1971. The memorial plaque on the bell tower was installed by the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan, the Honourable Dr. Stephen Worobetz, son of Mary and Yustyn Worobetz who were founding members of the parish. A short distance away is the rectory which was constructed in 1953. Across the road, opposite the church, stands a large masonry parish hall; this was originally the community school which was purchased by the parishioners and altered to suit their needs. The parish cemetery is on the site of the first parish church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in the Krydor district in 1905 from the Sokal county. The founders of the parish were: Rev. Tymofey Wasylewich, Petro Charko, Teodor Lucyk, Yustyn Worobetz, Mykhaylo Charko, Stefan Romaniuk, Hryhoriy Saganski, Pylyp Saganski, Oleksa Worobetz, Pavlo Saganski, Stepan Duma, Ivan Woy-towich, Hryhoriy Harach, Semen Woytowich and Teodosiy Saganski.
Prior to the establishment of the parish the community was spiritually served by Rev. E. An-druchowicz, Rev. T. Wasylewich, Rev. N. Kryzanowski, OSBM, Rev. M. Kuzma, Rev. R. Cherepaniak and Rev. N. Shumsky. From 1917, the parish was under the pastoral charge ofHafford; in 1949 it became the seat of the Krydor pastoral district and received its first permanent pastor, Rev. Myroslav Oleshko.
In 1941 the parish united 37 members with 88 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 160 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 80 individual members were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Roman Homenko, pastor, Joseph Bahniuk, Walter Woytiuk, Mary Shyluk, Helen Cyba and Peter Parchoma.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart at Krydor is the seat of the pastoral district of Krydor with satellite parishes at Blaine Lake, Orolow, Uhryniv and Krydor Sich during its tenure. Pastor of the district is Rev. Roman Homenko.
The name “Krydor” is an official geographic name of Ukrainian origin.
Krydor Sacred Heart Church
Krydor St. Demetrius Cemetery
Bulletins for North Battleford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8730