Tiaziv church of St. Demetrius constructed 1928, 8 miles south of Rama; R.M. 305.
KYZIV – TIAZIV — The church of St. Demetrius was the second church of the parish.
The first church, a log structure constructed in 1910, served the parish for eighteen years. In 1928 it was dismantled and that year, on the same site, the present church was constructed. Episcopal visitations to the church were made by Bishop Nicetas Budka on four occasions, Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1934 and 1940, and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1958 and 1969.
The level, two acre church site eight miles south of Rama was donated by M. Mudrey. The wooden church is in a perfect cruciform, 40 x 40 feet, with a large central dome at the axis of the shingled gable roofs and four small towers with metal crosses above each frontal apex of the intersecting wings. The dome is covered with white sheet metal while the walls have narrow wood siding and are painted. The church is east-west oriented with the elevated sanctuary and main altar in the east wing and the vestibule and choir loft in the opposite wing. The nave has two small side altars along the corresponding lateral walls and wooden pews which seat approx. 60 persons. The interior is dominated by vaulted ceilings which merge centrally into a large octagonal dome reinforced by arcades and four pilasters. The octagonal drum supporting the dome and the walls of the cruciform nave contain rectangular windows with arched summits. Lighting is by candles only.
Construction of this church totalling $2,500 was accomplished through private donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners who were directed by foreman Fed. Vistovsky. Near the church is a wooden belfry and beyond it extends the parish cemetery.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area between 1904 and 1907 from the villages of Oleksyntsi and Tiaziv of the Borschchiv and Stanyslaviv counties. The founding members of this parish were: Mykola Leniuk, Fed. Leniuk, V. Leniuk, Danylo Sackney, Myk. Dutchak, V. Doroshenko, Yurko Pilipow, Dmytro Petryshyn, Sawka Fenyshyn, Marian Mudrey, Franko Tomchyshyn, Myk. Skoblyniuk and Panko Roliak. Propam’yatna Knyha p. 236 records the following about these founders: “When their numbers increased they met and began to contemplate about their own church and their own pastor. They selected P. Yakymyshyn to find a priest. He went, on foot, to Canora (30 miles).. .” The first priest in this area was Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, who served holy services at the homes of D. Sackney and M. Leniuk. In 1941 the parish registered 30 members (families) with 60 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 150 souls (Directory), and in 1975, 6 families who have now joined the parish at Rama. The church is now closed.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Demetrius, Kyziv-Tiaziv, is under the pastoral charge of Rama.
The name “Tiaziv”, originating from the Tiaziv village in the Stanyslaviv county, was changed in Canada to “Kyziv” and is not an official geographical name (Directory 1961).
KYZIV-TIAZIV St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church
The church of St. Demetrius is the second church of the parish. The first church, a log structure constructed in 1910, served the parish for eighteen years. In 1928 it was dismantled and that year, on the same site, the present church was constructed. Episcopal visitations to the church were made by Bishop Nicetas Budka on four occasions, Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1934 and 1940, and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1958 and 1969. The level, two acre church site eight miles south of Rama was donated by M. Mudrey. Near the church is a wooden belfry and beyond it extends the parish cemetery. Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area between 1904 and 1907 from the villages of Oleksyntsi and Tiaziv of the Borschchiv and Stanyslaviv counties in Ukraine. The Ukrainian Catholic Parish of St. Demetrius, Kyziv-Tiaziv, is officially closed and there is only one service a year on “praznyk”.
Kyziv-Tiaziv St. Demetrius Church and Cemetery
Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0