Lanigan Farms – Sacred Heart
Church of the Sacred Heart acquired 1952-1953, located 9 miles north of Lanigan; R.M. 310.
LANIGAN — The church of the Sacred Heart is the first church of the parish.
The parishioners purchased the church structure in 1952 from the Wolverine parish. The following year the church was moved onto a three acre site nine miles north of Lanigan. In 1926, as the Wolverine parish church, it was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka. Archbishop Basil Ladyka celebrated Divine Liturgy there in 1935. The Lanigan parish was visited on several occasions by Bishop Andrew Roborecki who also celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church August 5, 1973.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 57 x 24 feet, which stands on a high concrete basement and has three domes; two domes project above the frontal towers, the third is situated at the frontal summit of the high shingled gable roof. The exterior walls, including the towers, are finished in narrow wood siding and are painted. The church is east-west oriented with a west main entrance preceded by a small adjoining porch.
In the interior the sanctuary with the main altar is separated from the nave by an iconostas constructed in 1929 by Zakhariy Polos; this craftsman imported oil on canvas paintings and carved columns from Winnipeg, Manitoba, completed the additional carving required and installed the iconostas. An entrance directly behind the main altar leads to an east adjoining porch-sacristy. The church contains a choir loft, wooden pews seating approx. 40 persons, electricity and central oil heating. Upper wall areas, including the angulated ceiling, are finished in donnacona while the lower wall areas have imitation wood panelling. The wooden floor is covered with linoleum in all areas of the church, in the sanctuary it is also carpeted. Beneath the church, a finished basement serves as the parish hall with kitchen facilities;
entries into the basement are from the church interior and church grounds. The parish cemetery is in continuation of the church property.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1905 predominantly from the Borshchiv and Yavoriv counties. Initially settlers from this area attended the Wolverine parish church. In 1952 they founded the Lanigan parish and purchased the church. Founding members of the parish were: Steve Worobec, Paul Nakoneshny, Steve Nakoneshny, Steve Senko, John Senko, Mike Senko, Peter Nakoneshny. Fred Nakoneshny and Michael Romashenko. The first church executive consisted of: Fred Tkaczech, Michael Kodvy and Michael Nakoneshny. Rev. Peter Kryworuchka was the first pastor of the parish. Originating from this parish are Sr. Catherine Natalie Huculak, Sr. Melanie Mary Nakoneshny and Sr. Sylvia Catherine Nakoneshny of the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate.
In 1961 the parish consisted of 70 souls (Directory), in 1975 there were 8 families, an approximate total of 30 persons. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Andrew Choronzy, pastor, John Senko, Mike Nakoneshny and Mike Senko.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart, Lanigan, is under the pastoral charge of Humboldt.
Lanigan Sacred Heart Church and Cemetery
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Cell: (306) 961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8138