Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit constructed 1946-1947 at MacDowall; R.M. 463.
MACDOWALL — The church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed between 1946 and 1947 on a five acre site three miles north-east of MacDowall. Bishop Andrew Roborecki, assisted by Rev. B. Obarianyk, blessed the church on June 18, 1962.
The church is a rectangular wooden structure, 56 x .28 feet, with three small frontal cupolas apexed by intricately designed metal crosses. Two cupolas are above the frontal towers and one is at the summit of the shingled gable roof. The main entrance is through a small adjoining porch-vestibule. All exterior walls have imitation brick siding and contain rectangular, arched at the top, windows. A consistent white ornamental design accentuates the windows and main entrance. In the interior the church contains an elevated sanctuary and main altar with adjoining sacristies, a nave and a choir loft. Two small side altars in the nave are traditionally dedicated to the Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 50 persons. The church has electricity and central oil heating. The basement serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities. Near the church stands a mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1964 which was directed by Rev. M. Markiw, OSBM. The parish cemetery is also on this site.
Ukrainian settlers began to settle in MacDowall between 1928 and 1930 and were predominantly from the district parishes of Hafford, Blaine Lake, Krydor, Alvena, Rosthern farms and others. They formed into a parish during the construction of the church and selected their first parish executive consisting of John Boruch, Paul Badowsky, Gregory Switenky, John Belesowsky and Michael Petruk. The first pastor and organizer of the church construction was Rev. Anthony Simbalist. Construction was accomplished through the financial contributions and voluntary labour of the parishioners who worked under the foremanship of Onufriy Sloboda and his assistant, Michael Postiy. The five acre church and cemetery site was donated to the parish by Mykola Zuk. In 1961 the parish consisted of 65 souls (Directory), in 1967, 56 souls, and in 1975 the parish registered 30 souls. Many of the members of this parish have resettled in Prince Albert. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. John Worona, pastor, Eugene Boruch, Nadine Seniuk, Olga Switenky, Michael Switenky, Morris Matvishyn, Genevieve Boruch and Anthony Seniuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit, MacDowall, is under the pastoral charge of Prince Albert.
Macdowall Descent of the Holy Spirit Cemetery
Prince Albert & District Parishes Praznyk/Graveside Services 2016
[table id=3 /]