The Church of St. George the Martyr constructed 1939 in easterly Melville; P.M. 214.

MELVILLE — The church of St. George is the second church of the parish.

The first church was constructed in 1916; on March 10 of that year it was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka. The church served the parish for twenty-three years; in 1939 it was sold and the second church was constructed. Bishop Andrew Roborecki made several episcopal visitations to the parish and last visited the faithful and celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on July 16, 1971.

The church stands in easterly Melville. It is a masonry cruciform structure, 70 x 36 feet, with three domes; the large central dome is apexed by a cupola and cross, the two smaller domes above the front towers are also apexed by crosses. The walls of the church including the drum of the central dome contain elongated rectangular windows with semicircular summits. A gable roof appears above the intersecting wings of the structure. The church is north-south oriented with a south main entrance reached by wide concrete steps leading directly into the nave; the church does not have an enclosed vestibule and the area beneath the choir loft, which is supported by two decorative columns, constitutes the vestibule. The north wing, directly opposite the choir loft, contains an elevated sanctuary which has angulated walls and becomes almost semicircular in form. Two sacristies with exits to the church grounds are found on the east and west corresponding sides of the main altar.

The interior of the church is dominated by a vaulted ceiling and the large well-illuminated central dome supported by arcades and four pilasters. Artistic decoration of the church consists of rich stylized ornamentation, numerous symbols and the appropriate murals; comparatively large in size are the church patron painting and two side icons of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ the Redeemer which have small votive altars. The decoration was executed by the artist Theodore Baran. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 250 persons; it has electrical lighting, natural gas central heating and plumbing facilities. Construction of the church was realized by the parishioners through their private donations and fund raising projects and was carried out under the foremanship of Wasyi Huziak.

Near the church stands the reading room Prosvita constructed in 1931 and named in honour of Rev. Markian Shashkevych. Adjacent to it is the pastor’s residence constructed between 1957 and 1959.

Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1907 predominantly from Bukovyna and various regions of Halychyna. The founding members of the parish were:

Rev. Henry Boels, CSSR, V. Deresh, 0. Stoyko, Ya. Stoyko, V. Matsenko (Maczenko), N. Hudy, S. Hrytsula (Hrycula), V. Fedorkiv, Ya. Stefaniuk, N. Ivonus, K. Shvaga, F. Yastrub, F. Yarema, M. Vasyltsiv (Wasyl-ciw), N. Bratus, Iv. Kostyshyn, 0. Kotyk, V. Senyk, Yu. Boguliak, M. Lozynsky, Hr. Lysechko, L. Kozak, Z. Hudy, Iv. Sofroniuk, T. Kharysh (Charysh), Y. Poleyko, Iv. Chubaty, Y. Widaiko, D. Kryba, Z. Hiady, A. Rogalsky, N. Semenovsky, S. Bihak, M. Parascheniuk (Parachoniak), M. Tvardovsky (Twardoski), M. Mat-viyiv, 0. Chorniak, K. Wiwchar, Iv. Kopchuk, P. Shipko, V. Halyk, S. Andriash, 0. Kolody, M. Tkachuk, Iv. Hnatiuk, V. Mandziak, P. Dmytrash, P. Bogush, Iv. Ivaniw, Iv. Sozansky, T. Klymko, M. Kostyshyn, N. Slywka, S. Kohut, Iv. Wegerak and V. Pudetz. From 1913 the parish was spiritually served by the Redemptorist Fathers from Yorkton. Prior to the construction of the first parish church, holy services were held in the Roman Catholic church.

In 1941 the parish registered 45 families with 80 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 180 souls (Directory), and m 1975, 55 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Gregory Novak, CSSR, pastor, John Hnatiuk, John Borys and Wasyi Sereda.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. George at Melville is the seat of the Melville pastoral district with satellite parishes at Calder, Wroxton, Wroxton farms, Dnipro and, earlier, Stomoway. Spiritual pastor of the district is Rev. Gregory Novak, CSSR.

 

Reviewed September, 2003.

The church of St. George is the second church of the parish.

The first church was constructed in 1916; on March 10 of that year it was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka. The church served the parish for twenty-three years; in 1939 it was sold and the second church was constructed. Bishop Andrew Roborecki made several episcopal visitations to the parish and last visited the faithful and celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on July 16,1971. Since that time there have been other Ukrainian Catholic Bishops of Saskatchewan visting Melville – His Excellency Bishop Basil Filevich and most recent was Bishop Michael Wiwchar on April 1, 2000.

The church stands in easterly Melville. It is a masonry cruciform structure, 70 x 36 feet, with three domes; the large central dome is apexed by a cupola and cross, the two smaller domes above the front towers are also apexed by crosses. The walls of the church including the drum of the central dome contain elongated retangular windows with semicircular summits. A gable roof appears above the intersecting wings of the structure. The church is north-south oriented; an addition to the main entrance was contructed in 1991 with a washroom and foyer along with a stairwell to the basement. A landing was constructed (wheelchair accessible) on the west side of the church that leads to the front entrance. In the basement a catechism room was constructed and two washrooms. The parish members consisted of President John Hnatiuk, Rodney Klus, Financial Secretary, Colin McAleer, Treasurer and Tony Achtemichuk, Secretary. The south main entrance is reached by wide steps leading directly into the vestibule, the area beneath the choir loft, which is supported by two decorative columns. The north wing, directly opposite the choir loft, contains an elevated sanctuary which has angulated walls and becomes almost semicircular in form. Two sacristies on the east and west side of the main altar, with one exit to the church grounds on the north wall of the east side.

The interior of the church is dominated by a vaulted ceiling and the large well-illuminated central dome supported by arcades and four pilasters. Artistic decoration of the church consists of rich stylized ornamentation, numerous symbols and the appropriate murals; comparatively large in size are the church patron painting and two side icons of the Holy Mother of God with

the Christ Child and Christ the Redeemer which have small votive altars. The decoration was executed by the artist Theodore Baran. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 150 persons, electrical crystal chandelier, three air moving ceiling fans, sound system with two suspended loud speakers, two microphones, electric organ, electrical lighting, natural gas central heating, and plumbing facilities. Air conditioning was installed in June, 2003. Construction of the church was realized by the parishioners through their private donations and fund raising projects and was carried out under the foremanship of WasyI Huziak in the 1930’s.

Adjacent to the church is the pastor’s residence constructed between 1957 and 1959, which was home to parish priests till late 1970’s which at that time was served by Rev. Gregory Novak. CSSR. Since his death the parish has been served by the Redemptorist Fathers from Yorkton namely Father Michael Schudio, CSsR, Father Michael Baraniecki, CSsR, Father Stephen Olynyk, CSsR, Father J. Korba, CSsR and other visiting Redemptorists.

Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1907 predominantly from Bukovyna and various regions of Halychyna. The founding members of the parish were: Rev. Henry Boels, CSSR, V. Deresh, 0. Stoyko, Ya. Stoyko, V. Matsenko(Maczenko), N. Hudy, S. Hrytsular (Hrycular), V. Fedorkiv, Ya. Stefaniuk, N. Ivonus, K. Shvaga, F. Yastrub, F. Yarema, M. Vasyltsiv(Wasylciw), N. Bratus, Iv. Kostyshyn, 0. Kotyk, V. Senyk, Yu. Boguliak, M. Lozynsky, Hr. Lysechko, l_. Kozak, Z. Hudy, Iv. Sofroniuk, T. Kharysh (Charysh), Y. Poleyko, Iv. Chubaty, Y. Widaiko, D. Kryba, Z. HIady, A. Rogalsky, N. Semenovsky, S. Bihak, M. Parascheniuk (Parachoniak) M. Twardovsky (Twardoski), M. atviyiv, 0. Chorniak, K. Wiwchar, Iv. Kopchuk, P. Shipko, V. Halyk, S. Andriash, 0. Kolody, M. Tkachuk, Iv.Hnatiuk, V. Mandziak, P. Dmytrash, P. Bogush, Iv. Ivaniw, Iv. Sozansky, T. Klymko, M. Kostyshyn, N. Slywka, S. Kohut, Iv. Wegerak and V. Pudetz. From 1913 the parish was spiritually served by the Redemptorist Fathers from Yorkton. Prior to the construction of the first parish church, holy services were held in the Roman Catholic church.

In 1941 the parish registered 45 families with 80 children (Prop. Hnyha), in 1961, 180 souls (Directory), and in 1975. 55 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Gregory Novak, CSSR, pastor, John Hnatiuk, John Borys and Wasyt Sereda. The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. George at Melville was the seat of the Melville pastoral district with satellite parishes at Calder, Wroxton, Wroxton farms, Dnipro and, earlier, Stornoway.

In 2003, the parish registered 57 families. The present Council executive members are President Lawrence Herasymiuk, ^/ice-President Allan Glowa, Secretary Eleanore Sedlovitch.and Treasurer Kathleen Stolar. The council worked closely with the Fund Raising Chairman Merv Famulak along with the Nevada Sales by Tony Achtemichuk and Ted Danyluk. The Ladies Committee President Lucy Klus, Treasurer Nancy Herasymiuk and Committee Members Jean Danyluk, Joan Sass and Wanda Shaw. The ladies provide catering services for parish activities, perogy bees, bake sales and are also responsible for cleaning the church and washing linens. The Choir lead by Nancy Herasymiuk, organist Jean Danyluk and choir members Wanda Shaw, Joanne Oieski, Kathy Stotar, Anne Eremko, Olga Achtemichuk, Eleanore Sedlovitch, Sophie Borys, Jean Dales, Olga Bo/pay, Grace Bo/pay, John Hnatiuk and Ed Sagan. Yard committee members Lawrence Herasymiuk, Steve Sass, Ken Klus, Rodney Klus, John Stolar and Gary Halyk. These committees have been formed to upkeep the church and hail and to preserve the Ukrainian tradition. St. George’s Parish is served by the Redemptorist Fathers, Pastor, Father Bryan Bayda, CSsR, Assistant Pastors, Father Oleh Kashuba, CSsR and Father Methodius Kushko, CSsR. And at present sacristan Rodney Klus and on occasion Frank Petrowsky assist the fathers with the liturgy.

Melville St. George the Martyr Church

50°55’35.1″N 102°47’33.9″W

50.926411, -102.792747

Ituna District Bulletins

Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Pastor, Dean
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
306-563-5148
 
Dungen, Rev. Warren 
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
306-542-2220; Cell: 306-590-7900
Email: wdungen@gmail.com
Swan Plain, Ascension of Our Lord
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
 
Yorkton Redemptorist Fathers
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK  S3N 0B9
306-783-4594
Lukie, Rev. Bohdan, CSsR, Pastor
Email: blukie@gmail.com
Kushko, Rev. Methodius, CSsR
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, CSsR
Email: raylukie@sasktel.net

Malowany, Rev.
Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
 
 
Administrator, Wynyard District
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell:306-540-5102
List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael the Archangel

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Descent of the Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Descent of the Holy Ghost 

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Ghost (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael the Archangel 

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar (Elfros) - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Janow Corners-Meath Park - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Vladimir the Great

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John Apostle the Theologian

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - St. Volodomyr (2016) - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Madge Lake (Pelly) St. Michael Camp - Holy Eucharist Church (from Pelly)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Melfort - Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost)

Melville - St.George the Martyr

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin Farms/Silver Pine - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin Town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts/Prymove - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr Memorial Church

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine