Church of the Assumption of the B.V.M. constructed 1964-1965 in Moose Jaw; R.M. 161.
MOOSE JAW — The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the second church of the parish.
The Official Directory, published 1961, describes the first parish church as follows: “The church stands on a three lot site in south-westerly Moose Jaw and measures 60 x 26 feet. It was remodelled from an army chapel and moved from the Mossbank airport in 1948. The church has a basement hall.” Sixteen years later the parishioners constructed the present church in commemoration of Canada’s Centennial Year. In 1967 Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the commemorative plaque which was then installed in the church wall.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 80 x 46 feet, with a high concrete basement, an exterior brick finish and a shingled gable roof. Its windows, rectangular in form with semicircular summits, contain blue panes decorated with gold crosses corresponding to the full size of the window. The two front towers and the square support between them are apexed by cupolas with ogee-type domes finished with fireproof material and painted white. The church is east-west oriented; its west main entrance has a small roof shelter and is reached by high concrete steps with wrought iron safety railings. In addition to the main entrance the church has two south entries leading to the church and church basement with parish hall and kitchen facilities. The church interior is dominated by a vaulted ceiling, contains an east sanctuary with the main altar and north and south adjoining sacristies also exiting to the church grounds, the nave containing wooden pews seating approx. 250 persons, a vestibule and choir loft extending above the vestibule. Stairways at the vestibule’s south wall lead to the choir loft and church basement; the north side of the vestibule contains a room for parents with small children.
In 1971 the church was artistically decorated by Theodore Baran. The large wall behind the main altar contains a mural composition based on three events from the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary; the events represented are: the Annunciation, the Assumption and the Nativity of Christ the Redeemer. On the right and left of the sanctuary along the walls facing the nave are the standing pose representations of The Holy Mother of God — Queen of Ukraine, and Christ the Teacher. Decorating the walls of the nave are the four Evangelists, Eucharistical symbols and stylistic ornamentation.
The church floor is constructed of oak. carpeting extends down the center aisle and before the main altar. The church has electrical lighting, central gas heating and plumbing facilities. The parishioners constructed the church through their private financial contributions and voluntary labour assisting in the construction and site landscaping. The architectural plans and the construction were executed by a Regina architectural firm. All construction details were under the auspices of the church executive and construction committee headed by the pastor Rev. Canon Myron Pylypchuk; the church executive consisted of: Theodore Huska, Harry Zywer, Stefan Chekurlian, Eugene Popowich, Michael Horbay and Ernest Fedorowich; the construction committee included: John Zwyer, Eugen Popowich, Kost Kukhniy (Kuchny) and William Pavlishak. Total construction costs exceeded $110,000.
Near the church stands the priest’s residence; it was purchased and moved to the site in 1951, in 1956 it was enlarged and renovated.
Ukrainian settlers began settling in Moose Jaw in 1910 and were predominantly from the Rava Rus’ka county. Initially holy services were held in private homes or in the local Roman Catholic chapel; the Redemptorist Fathers who served this community were:
Rev. Stephen Bachtalowsky, Rev. Gregory Shysh-kowych and Rev. John Bala. Impetus to the establishment of a permanent parish was given by Rev. Anthony Fyk of Regina with whose assistance the community purchased their first parish church and adapted it to the requirements of the Ukrainian Rite. The first permanent pastor of the parish was Rev. Alexander Schesniuk who served the parish from 1948 to 1956. From 1956 to the present date the permanent pastor of the parish is the Rev. Canon Myron Pylypchuk; it was during his pastorate that the parishioners constructed the present church and commissioned its artistic decoration.
The parish was founded in 1948 by 12 families. In 1961 there were 229 souls (Directory); in 1964, during the period of construction of the second church, the parish numbers increased to 64 families and 11 single members or a total of 246 persons. In 1975 the parish registered 95 families or approx. 270 persons. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Canon Myron Pylypchuk, pastor, Lawrence William Gelleta, Michael Lys, William Berezny, Joseph Yablonski, Walter Korol and Peter Kondra.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Moose Jaw is the seat of a permanent spiritual pastor.
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church
621 5 Ave SW, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 5E3, Canada
Parish Contact Information
625 – 5th Ave SW
Moose Jaw, SK S6H 5W2
Rev. Vasyl Tymishak
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue,
Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Bulletins for Moose Jaw - District Parishes
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Yorkton
DEANERY (Protopresbyterate) OF YORKTON
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim; Dean-Deanery of Yorkton;
Pastor, Canora-Kamsack District
Canora, Ss. Peter and Paul (Res)
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist Parish
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Norquay, Sacred Heart of Jesus
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Wynyard, SK S0A 1N0
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Beaver Dale, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
REGINA - ST. ATHANSIUS-MOOSE JAW DISTRICT
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl, Vice-Dean of Deanery of Yorkton;
Administrator: Regina-St. Athanasius-Moose Jaw District
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Chaplin-Thunder Creek, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; Cell: 306-590-7900