Church of the Holy Trinity constructed 1935 near Norquay; R.M. 303.
NORQUAY farms — The church of the Holy Trinity is the third church of the parish.
The first church, constructed 1906-1907, was a log structure erected by the parishioners under the fore-manship of Ivan Drushka and was situated on a two acre site six miles south-east of Norquay. The second church was constructed in 1912 two miles north of the original church site; this was a rectangular wooden structure, larger than the first church, measuring 30 x 18 feet. Rev. Adalbert Saburen assisted the parishioners with the construction by sending lumber and the foreman Anton Kruk from Manitoba. The parishioners faced some setbacks during this period as some of the construction lumber was destroyed by fire. With the assistance of Yuriy Martyniuk, additional lumber was purchased and the construction was completed. All the parishioners worked voluntarily and additionally contributed $25 each towards the construction costs. The church served the parish for twenty-three years. In 1935 during the pastorate of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka the third parish church was constructed; the second church was converted into a parish hall and moved to Norquay. Episcopal visitations to the parish were made by Bishop Nicetas Budka on four separate occasions, by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1936 and 1937, and by Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1955 and 1963.
The present church stands on the second church site nearly four miles south-west of Norquay. It is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 64 x 42 feet, with a low concrete basement, a large central dome, and two small cupolas above the frontal towers. Both the exterior and interior walls are finished with wood siding, the roof is shingled, the domes are covered with white sheet metal. The church is south-north oriented. In the interior it consists of a sanctuary with the main altar, two sacristies, a nave, a vestibule, and a choir loft extending above the vestibule. A large dome dominates the interior axis of the intersecting arms. In 1938 the church was artistically decorated by I. Sych whose work is preserved to this date. The church has a wooden floor, wooden pews seating approx. 100 persons and candle lighting. Heating is accomplished by a wood burning heater.
As in the first two churches of the parish, the parishioners also constructed the third church through their financial contributions and voluntary labour. Chief foreman of the construction was Wasyi Huziak of Arran. Land for the church site was donated by Roman Huska; the church, however, was constructed on the more accessible land of Saveriy Yacyshyn who released the property to the parish in exchange for the site donated by R. Huska.
A single bell wooden belfry stands near the church while the parish cemetery is a short distance away from the church. The first parish cemetery is near the site of the first parish church.
Ukrainian settlement began in this area in 1904 from the Borshchiv county. Founding members of the parish were: Roman Huska, Yuriy Martyniuk, Saveriy Yacyshyn, Ivan Musiy, Semen Lukey, Ivan Romashen-ko, Petro Lukey, Kyrylo Lukey, Yuriy Alyluya, Stefan Gadzevych (Gazdewich), Petro Gurski, V. Markewich, Ivan Drushka, Ivan Markewich, the Cherewyk brothers, Stefan Guliak, Wasyi Baluk, Ivan and Anna Huska.
The first holy services were held in private homes and were served under the directorship of Yuriy Mantyka. The first priest to serve holy services in the first small parish church was a Latin Rite priest who commuted from St. Philips. From 1910, the parish was visited by Rev. Adalbert Saburen of Sifton, Manitoba;
beginning in 1913, the parish was consistently visited by pastors from Canora; from 1931, the pastors came from Arran; from 1951, pastors from Norquay administered this community. Originating from this parish are the following Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate: Sr. Ononysyma Anna Cherewyk, Sr. Carmela Sylvia Lukey and Sr. Modesta Anna Lukey.
In 1941 the parish consisted of 25 families with 90 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 64 souls (Directory). The church has been closed since 1968 and the remaining parishioners have registered to the newly formed parish of the Sacred Heart in Norquay.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Trinity, Norquay farms, still remains under the pastoral charge of Norquay.