All Saints church constructed 1949-1953 at 920-l08th St., North Battleford.
NORTH BATTLEFORD — The church of All Saints is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed between 1949 and 1953 on a two lot site in the north-eastern part of the city. The first Divine Liturgy in the uncompleted structure was celebrated in 1951 by Rev. Bohdan Bachynsky. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations and blessed the church on May 30. 1953.
The wooden cruciform church, 76 x 48 feet, is on a high basement and has a shingled central dome, a shingled gable roof and three frontal towers. Blind cupolas covered with white sheet metal and apexed by intricately designed metal crosses project above the central dome and the two front towers. The exterior of the structure is finished in stucco with a masonry-like effect around its base. Plaster-board was used for the interior finishing. The church is east-west oriented with the main west entrance through the central tower which has a separate gable roof, contains rectangular windows with arched summits, serves as vestibule and supports part of the choir loft which widens over the nave. The garret of the tower contains electric bells and speakers. Against the north wall of the nave, near the vestibule. stairs lead to the choir loft and church basement.
The east polygonal apse contains the sanctuary with the main alter and north and south adjoining sacristies which also exit to the outside. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary, along the lateral walls of the nave are two small side altars dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Teacher. The cruciform ceiling is vaulted and extends into a large central dome which is supported by arcades, pendentives, and four pilasters and is illuminated by large windows in its octagonal drum. This dome dominates the church interior and by its majestic appearance enriches its architectural beauty.
In 1963 the church was artistically decorated by the artist Theodore Baran of Saskatoon. The large icon of Christ the King behind the main altar and two side altar icons depicting The Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ the Teacher were done
in the oil technique. Many other oil paintings, such as the four Evangelists in the triangular pendentives which support the dome, angels, symbols, other images, and a vast array of rich stylistic and symbolic ornamentation decorate the walls, arcades and ceilings which were painted in a special oil paint that dried to a matte Finish. The background colors throughout the church are aqua and gold.
The wooden floor of the church is carpeted with a decorative predominantly red carpet which extends through the central aisle and the sanctuary area. The church structure is equipped with electricity, central oil heating and plumbing facilities. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 275 persons. The basement contains classrooms and serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities.
A wooden cross near the church commemorates the first Holy Mission of the parish which was held in 1952 under the direction of Rev. S. Bachtalowsky, CSSR. A second memorial cross, also nearby, commemorates Canada’s Centennial and the 75th anniversary of Ukrainian Settlement in Canada. In 1954 a rectory was constructed adjacent to the church. The parish utilizes the municipal cemetery.
The architectural plan of the church was designed by Michael Lebid who, together with Harry Chilibecki, acted as foreman of the construction. The construction costs, $24,000, were covered through the generous donations of the parishioners, nine thousand hours of voluntary work and a $10,000 contribution made by the local branch of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League.
Ukrainian settlers began to settle in North Battle-ford about 1924 and came from neighbouring rural districts. In 1947 the Ukrainian community increased significantly after the Second World War with new settlers from the Sokal, Skalat, Ternopil and Horodenka counties. Beginning in 1937, and until the church was constructed, holy services were held in the “Ukrainian National Home”. The parish was served by pastors from neighbouring parishes, particularly those from Hafford, and included Rev. M. Horoshko, Rev. N. Droho-myrecki. Rev. Oleshko, Rev. J. Worona and Rev. M. Pylypchuk. July 7, 1946 is considered to be the date of establishment of the parish. On that day Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Rev. B, Shumay and was followed by a meeting at which the first parish executive was chosen consisting of N. Hersymik, J. Kirik, D. Uchachewsky (Chronicle “Year after Year” P. Balych).
In 1949 the parish received its first permanent pastor Rev. B. Bachynsky under whose leadership, at the parish meeting held on February 9th of that year, a decision was made to construct a church. At a following meeting held February 27, the construction committee was selected of the following: H. Chilibecki, J. Kirik and M. Lebid. These worked in close cooperation with the parish executive consisting of: Dmytro Harasymiw, president; Dmytro Karapinka, treasurer; and Morris Lasiuk, secretary. During this period the parish registered 27 families (quest.). In 1961 the parish had 326 souls (Directory), in 1967, 260 souls and in 1975 there were 272 souls (quest.). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Bohdan Bachynsky, pastor, Peter Chomicki, Edward Prystupa and William Kachur.
The Ukrainian Catholic church of All Saints in North Battleford is the seat of the pastoral district of North Battleford with satellite parishes at Radisson, Whitkow and Meadow Lake. Pastor for the district is Rev. Bohdan Bachynsky.
North Battleford All Saints Church
Bulletins for North Battleford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Cell: (306) 961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8138