Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit constructed 1934 in Plain View; R.M. 215.
PLAIN VIEW — The church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) is the second church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed the first church between 1911 and 1912 on a site seventeen and one-half miles north-west of Melville. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the partially completed structure by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, on July 7, 1911. Bishop Nicetas Budka visited the parish on three occasions and blessed the church on August 12, 1913.
As the parish outgrew the facilities of the church, the church was dismantled and a larger structure was constructed in 1934. This second church was blessed by Archbishop Basil Ladyka on June 12, 1938. Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the church by Bishop Neil Savaryn on August 28, 1945 and by Bishop Andrew Roborecki on July 1, 1956 and May 17, 1964.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 54 x 34 feet, with an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof and a steep centrally located pyramidal roof apexed by an open-arcade cupola and cross. Similar cupolas, only smaller in size and completely enclosed, grace the two frontal towers. The walls of the church contain tall rectangular windows with arched summits. The church is west-east oriented with a main entrance sheltered by a small roof supported by pillars and a west, almost rectangular in form, elevated sanctuary with a south adjoining sacristy. The ceilings are vaulted and merge into a low central dome supported by four pilasters. A choir loft rises above the vestibule at the west end of the structure and can be reached by wooden stairs originating at the north wall of the nave. The church was artistically decorated in 1954 by the artist Paul Zabolotny; only his painting behind the main altar has been preserved. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 60 persons. Lighting is provided by electricity and the church is centrally heated by wood burning.
Plans for the existing church were drafted by John Tycholiz who also acted as foreman of the parish volunteers during construction. All the construction costs, $5,000, were covered by the parishioners. The two acre church site was donated by Anton Zuliniak.
A mission cross was installed near the church in 1941; earlier, the church site also contained a belfry which was constructed in 1937 and housed a bell purchased for $50. A short distance from the church, still on churchproperty, a parish hall was constructed between 1962 and 1964. Adjoining the church grounds is a two acre parish cemetery. Land for the cemetery was donated to the parish by D. Klepak.
Ukrainian pioneers began settling in the Plain View district in 1906 and came predominantly from the Borshchiv county. The parish was founded in 1911 by the following members: Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, D. Klepak, V. Badowich, A. Sawa, S. Klepak, H. Mysko (Misko), M. Lyzun, V. Turchak, N. Lazorko, L. Sawa, F. Sawa, Iv. Palanychka, Iv. Gamracy, Iv. Krashewsky, Iv. Chopyk, V. Kravetz (Kravich), N. Tsyurko (Chur-ko), S. Polischak, Y. Balaberda, A. Balaberda, R. Kravetz, Iv. Klepak, F. Zuliniak, P. Zuliniak, A. Zuliniak, S. Zuliniak, Iv. Zholkevych, M. Halabuza, M. Vavryshko (Wawrysko), Iv. Mysko, V. Blazheyko (Blazeiko), V. Woloshyn, D. Stadnyk and Iv. Klepa-chok. The Rev. Sr. Philarette, SMI, comes from this parish.
In 1941 there were 35 members with 115 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 100 souls (Directory), in 1967, 35 families and in 1975 there were 12 families and 6 single members (questionnaire). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Redemptorist Fathers, pastors, Steve Turchak, Andrew Stadnyk and Kazmir Churko.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost), Plain View, is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.