Church of St. John the Theologian constructed 1945 in north-westerly Prud’homme; R.M. 372.
PRUD’HOMME — The church of St. John Apostle the Theologian is the first church of the parish.
The founding members of the parish constructed the church in 1945 on a two acre site in north-westerly Prud’homme. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church in 1954.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 60 x 30 feet, with three small frontal cupolas. Its gable roof is shingled, the walls have imitation brick finishing and contain rectangular windows which are semicircular at the top. Entry into the church is through a small adjoining porch-vestibule. The church contains an elevated sanctuary with the main altar and adjoining sacristies which exit to the church grounds.
Directly behind the main altar hangs a large church patron icon. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary and facing the nave are traditional icons of the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind. The walls and ceiling are artistically decorated with flora ornamentation and symbols. The three icons and the artistic decoration of the church are the artwork of Theodore Baran which was done in 1951 during the pastorate of Rev. John Olynyk.
The church has a choir loft, which can be reached by a stairway from the nave, electricity and central oil heating. The high church basement is finished and serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities.
The parishioners constructed the church through their financial donations at a total cost of $12,000. Foreman of the construction was Illya Sembalerus. The church site was received from the town council for a nominal fee.
A wooden belfry was constructed near the church in 1960. The wooden mission cross nearby commemorates the first Holy Mission of the parish which took place in 1950 and was directed by Rev. Michael Schudio, CSSR.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1919 from the Borshchiv county. The Prud’homme parish was established by twenty families. Together with Rev. Cyryl Lotocki, the first parish executive was formed by the following: P. Sielski, V. Gawliuk, D. Chelak, I. Plesiuk and P. Hryniuk. In 1961 the parish consisted of 82 souls (Directory), in 1975 there were 20 families. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, acting pastor for the district, Gary Thachuk and Gordon Sopotyk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. John Apostle the Theologian at Prud’homme is under the pastoral charge of Vonda.
Prud'homme St. John the Theologian Church
Prud'homme St. John the Theologian Cemetery
Bulletins for Saskatoon District Parishes
Liturgical Schedule - Saskatoon & District Parishes - May to October 2018
Saskatoon Dormition and District Parishes Information
Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the
Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
Sacred Heart – Hawruliuke
Sacred Heart – Vonda
St. John the Baptist – Smuts
St. John the Evangelist – Prud’homme
Ss. Peter & Paul – Bodnari
Ss. Peter & Paul – Borshchiw
St. Volodymyr – Laniwci
Saskatoon Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2 306-652-4837 (Church); 306-477-1704 (Res)
Prud'homme, St. John the Evangelist
Prymove/Smuts, St. John the Baptist