Radisson Church of the Patronage of the B.V.M. constructed 1955-1956; R.M. 405.
RADISSON — The church of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed between 1955 and 1956 on a three lot site in southerly Radisson. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated in 1956 by Rev. B. Bachynsky. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and blessed the church in 1959.
The wooden rectangular structure is finished with imitation stone asphalt siding, measures 50 x 25 feet and has a large one-armed decoratively designed metal cross at the front apex of the shingled gable roof. An adjoining porch-vestibule has a bell in its rafters.
The interior is finished in donnacona and is dominated by a vaulted ceiling. The elevated sanctuary with the main altar has two adjoining sacristies. Two small side altars in the nave are traditionally dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ, Who Loves Mankind. A west choir loft is reached by stairs originating in the nave. The church is artistically decorated with murals. The decoration was done in 1962 by artist Theodore Baran. The church structure contains wooden pews seating approx. 80 persons, and has electrical lighting and central gas heating. In addition to the main west entrance there are north and south entries into the church and basement which serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities.
Construction costs, totalling $9,000, were covered by the financial contributions of the parishioners, the parish branch of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League and many hours of voluntary labour. Construction was directed by foreman Alex Hunchak and the construction committee consisting of Alex Hunchak, Michael Burak, Tomko Wasylyshyn and Michael Yaremowich.
A wooden mission cross near the church commemorates the Holy Mission of 1952. The parish cemetery is one-half mile south of the church and adjoins the Roman Catholic cemetery.
Ukrainian settlement began in this area in 1912 with settlers predominantly from the Horodenka and Sokal counties. Prior to the construction of the church in Radisson they attended holy services at neighbouring parishes. At the time of its establishment the parish had fifteen members. In 1961 there were 81 souls (Directory), in 1967, 60 souls and in 1975 the parish registered 37 souls (quest.). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Bohdan Bachynsky, pastor, Nicholas Hunchak, Michael Burak and Anthony Regush.
In 1987 the church was moved onto a new foundation. Due to the poor state of the basement, the result of a high water table, a basement was not constructed. A furnace room was built by voluntary labor, on the east wall of the church. The wooden cross remains on the same location. A sign identifying the name of the parish has been placed nearby.
The original interior, two side altars, two sacristies, iconography, choir loft and pews have not been changed.
The roof has been reshingled and new siding will be installed by the end of October, 2003.
The parish currently has 12 members and is under the spiritual leadership of Father Janko Kolosnjaji. The parish celebrated Divine Liturgies during the summer months only.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Radisson is under the pastoral charge of North Battleford.
Radisson Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
Radisson Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Bulletins for North Battleford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8730