Church of SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1936-1939 in northerly Rama on Hwy. 5; R.M. 305.
RAMA — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1928 on a one and a half acre hilly site in northerly Rama. The small rectangular church structure was remodelled into a parish hall in 1936 and the second church was constructed nearby. Construction of this church was initiated during the pastorate of Rev. Stephen Semczuk in 1936 and brought to completion during the pastorate of Rev. John Holowka in 1939. Archbishop Basil Ladyka visited the first church in 1934 and the present church in 1939. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions; on July 12, 1963, Bishop Andrew Roborecki and Rev. Myron Staciw, the pastor of the parish at that time, joined with the parishioners in their joyful celebration commemorating the 25th anniversary of the construction of the present church. His Beatitude Cardinal Patriarch Josyf Slipyj visited the church on July 12, 1968, following his visit to the Canora parish.
The first and second churches were constructed through the private donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners; costs of the present church totalled $3,200 and construction was carried out under the foremanship of Fed. Vistovsky. The wood constructed cruciform church, 60 x 36 feet, has a large central dome and six small cupolas above the front and side towers. Its gable roof is covered with asphalt shingles, all domes have white sheet metal covering while the exterior walls are finished in painted wood siding. The church is north-south oriented and has a slightly curved and elevated north sanctuary with the main altar and adjoining sacristies. The south choir loft is entered from the nave. Two small side altars with icons dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer are found along the lateral walls of the cruciform nave. The interior is dominated by a vaulted ceiling and a large central dome which is supported by arcades resting on four pilasters. Entry into the church is through an adjoining porch-vestibule with a separate low roof. The church has wooden pews seating approx. 120 persons, electricity and central heating.
The church grounds contain a mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1962, a wooden belfry constructed in 1950, a rectory and a parish hall.
Ukrainian settlement in the Rama district began in 1912. Initially the settlers belonged to the parish at Dobrowody. Including Rev. Damascen Popowich, OSBM, the Rama parish was founded by: Mykola Yatsyshyn (Yachyshen), Ivan Danylyshyn, Stefan Kry-sak, Mykhaylo Grokhovsky (Grychowski), Ivan Yachyshen, Vitsko Ukrainetz, V. Prychak, Ivan Hrynchyshyn, Tymko Chekurliy, Tymko Yawney, Kuz’ Serhan, Roman Mudrey, Damian Tretiak, L’onko Shewchuk, Mykhaylo Prystay. Prior to construction of the church holy services were held in private homes and were served by Rev. Wolodymyr Zurawecki. Until 1939 the parish was served by the pastors from Canora; after that date it was assigned a permanent pastor, the first being Rev. Myroslaw Kolodey.
In 1941 the parish numbered 18 member families with 50 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 190 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 36 families and 4 single members were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Casimir Kucharek, pastor, Michael Prychak, Wasyi Malovany, Thomas Okrainetz, Michael Danylyshen, Peter Woroniuk and John Leniuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Rama is the seat of the pastoral district of Rama with satellite parishes at Invermay, Dobrowody, Kuro-ki, Kulykiw, Tiaziv. Pastor of the district is Rev. Casimir Kucharek.
RAMA SS. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish. The first church was constructed in 1928 on one and half acre site in northemly Rama. The small rectangular church structure was remodeled into a parish hall in 1936 and the second church was constructed nearby. Construction of the church was initiated during the pastorate of Fr. Stephen Semczuk in 1936 and brought to completion during the pastorate of Fr. John Holowka, His Beatitude Cardinal Josyf Slipyj visited the church on July 12, 1968, following his visit to the Canora parish.
The first and second churches were constructed through the private donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners; costs of the present church totalled $3,200 and construction was carried out under the foremanship of Fed Vistovsky. The church grounds contain a mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1962, a wooden belfry constructed in 1950, a rectory and a parish hall.
Ukrainian settlement in the Rama district began in 1912. Initially, the settlers belonged to the parish at Dobrowody.
The Ukrainian Catholic Parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Rama was the seat of the pastoral district of Rama with satellite parishes at Invermay, Dobrowody, Kuroki, Kulykiw, Tiaziw. Since 1982 the parish was served by Rev. Fr. John Melnyk from Preeceville, and since 1983 from Wadena. Rev. Fr. Joakim Rac from Canora serves the parish since November 2000. The members of the 2002 Parish Council are: Pastor Fr. Joakim Rac, President Norman Bosowich, Vice President Daniel Serhan, Secretary Rodney Hrynchyshyn, Treasurer Ken Kowalchuk, Rec Board Nick Kowalchuk and Mike Shewchuk, UCWL President Marcella Shewchuk.
Rama Ss. Peter & Paul Church
Rama Ss. Peter & Paul Cemetery
Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach – Patronage of the B. V. M.
Buchanan – Holy Spirit
Chekhiv – Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell – Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor – Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv – St. Demetrius
Invermay – Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny) – Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv – St. Demetrius
Preeceville – Transfiguration
Rama – Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw) – Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes – St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnieper (Dnipro), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki – Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi) – St. Nicholas
Fenwood - Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm - Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town - St. Michael
Hubbard – Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town - Holy Cross
Kelliher - St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0