St. Athanasius the Great church and parish center project in Regina.
REGINA — The church of St. Athanasius the Great is the first church of the parish; this is the second Ukrainian Catholic parish in Regina and is located in the north-westerly part of the city.
Rev. Rudolph Luzney, assistant pastor of the St. Basil the Great parish, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy for the faithful of north-westerly Regina in May 1966 at St. Peter’s Roman Catholic church. On June 6, 1971, Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the grounds for the parish’s future church and cultural-religious center;
the parishioners purchased the site for $17,000. That year, the parish constructed the St. Athanasius Center for $170,000. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed this complex May 7, 1972. In January, 1973, Rev. R. Luzney became the official pastor of the newly organized parish and assumed residency there in May, 1974.
Beginning in 1971, holy services for parish faithful have been held in the hall of the constructed center. The parishioners installed a temporary altar and made some alterations to adapt this area for holy services. Presently, under the guidance of their pastor. Rev. R. Luzney, they are formulating plans to construct the church; 1977 has been set as the earliest possible date for the construction. The proposed church plan will join the already constructed center with the church structure. A portable wall between the two structures will be used to enlarge the seating area to approx. 500 persons; normally the church will provide seating for approx. 175 persons.
In 1975 the membership of the St. Athanasius parish numbered approx. 500 persons. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Rudolph Luzney, pastor, Myron Herasymuik, Joseph Hnatiuk, Denise Soroka, Wilfred Horwath, Clifford Rakochy, Jack Zary, Volodymyr Nimetz, Gordon Syrota, Steven Wynnyk, Florence Hook, Sylvester Michaluk, Michael Femiak, Michael Mosiondz, Orest Mazurkewich, Ted and Sophie Riddell, Bernard Leo Korchinski, Dennis Zwarych, John Shyluk, Ted Dusyk, Walter Starosta, Ted Schabel, Harry Prystai, Michael Shykula, Walter Hook and Joyce Zwarych.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Athanasius the Great in north-westerly Regina is the second parish of the city with a resident pastor.
Regina St. Athanasius Church
55 McMurchy Ave, Regina, SK S4R 3G3, Canada
Church Bulletins & Website
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Yorkton
DEANERY (Protopresbyterate) OF YORKTON
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Pastor, Dean
Canora, Ss. Peter and Paul (Res)
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist Parish
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Norquay, Sacred Heart of Jesus
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Wynyard, SK S0A 1N0
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Beaver Dale, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
REGINA - ST. ATHANSIUS-MOOSE JAW DISTRICT
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl
Administrator - Moose Jaw District
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Chaplin-Thunder Creek, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; Cell: 306-590-7900