Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit constructed 1927, 11/2 miles east, 6 miles south and 1/2 mile east of Rosthern; R.M. 403
ROSTHERN (farms) — The church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed by the founding members of this parish m 1902. It was blessed by Rev. Sonzont Dydyk, OSBM, on May 15, 1904. Bishop Nicetas Budka consecrated the church in 1913. This was the first Ukrainian Catholic church in Saskatchewan. The church was constructed of logs on a site, two miles east and six miles south of Rosthern, donated by Yakiv Huchkowsky. In 1927 it was dismantled and on its site the second parish church was constructed.
The present church is a wood constructed cruciform structure measuring 48 x 42 feet with a blind dome at the axis of the, complementing in form, shingled gable roof. The interior is finished with narrow tongue and groove siding which was placed vertically at the lower wall areas and horizontally in all remaining wall areas. The church was artistically decorated in 1942 by Paul Zabolotny. Preserved to this date are several paintings, including the large church patron painting on the wall behind the main altar, and decorative ornamentation on the walls. The sanctuary is elevated and has a north sacristy. A choir loft extends over the west end of the nave directly opposite the sanctuary. Along the lateral walls of the nave, on corresponding sides of the sanctuary, are small votive altars dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer; these holy images are glass mounted oil prints. At the center of the nave, directly before the main altar, is the tetrapod and on corresponding sides of it are wooden pews which provide seating for approximately 80 persons. The floor is wooden; the sanctuary is carpeted. The cruciform ceiling is vaulted and extends into a windowless dome at its axis. As an east-west oriented structure, the church has a west main entrance through an adjoining porch-vestibule and stands on a high concrete basement which contains the heating facilities.
The parishioners constructed the church at a total cost of $4,000 under the directorship of E. Sichensky. It was blessed by Bishop Andrew Roborecki assisted by the pastor of many years. Rev. Dean Peter Kryworuch-ka, on June 14, 1970.
The church site contains a memorial cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1952, which was directed by Rev. Gregory Shyshkowych, CSSR, and a bell tower for which the bell was purchased prior to 1910; however, this date cannot be verified. Also on the site is a parish hall which was constructed in 1936. The parish cemetery is across the road from the church on land donated to the parish by Stefan Rogozinsky.
The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in 1897 from the Borshchiv county. The founding members of the parish were: Yosyfat Kaminsky, Anton Hrapchuk, Kyrylo Klepak, Stefan Kowbel, Oleksa Rybchynsky, Yakiv Huchkowsky, and Hryhoriy Wizniuk (Pro-pam’yatna Knyha). In addition to these, the parish register book, dated 1902, lists the following as founding members and first members of the parish: Stefan Rogozinsky, Bartko Remenda, Maksym Stadnyk, Yosyf Rogozinsky, Prokip Rak, Petro Ryhorchuk, Yakiv Manika, Nykola Zayachkowski, Nykola Bunka, Hnat Huchkowsky, Petro Bilak, Pavlo Widuk, Mykhaylo Ternowsky, Alex Sielski, Matvey Nikiforuk, Yurko Pidwerbetsky, Wasylyna Bytskalo (Byckalo), Frank Okhatsky (Ochacky), Anton Tchorewsky, Dmytro Iwanyshyn, Dmytro Mukanik, Nykola Bilyk, Les Hawrysh, Wasyi Twarynsky, F. Kotyk, Matvey Tomyn, Andriy Kopiakiwsky and Petro Martiniuk. From 1902 until the construction of the second church, the following assumed various positions on the church executives: Yakiv Huchkowsky, Hryhoriy Wizniuk, Wasyi Ka-terynych, Pavlo Widiuk, Ivan Derbowka, Oleksa Ryb-chynsky, Danylo Pryma, Andriy Lesko, Yurko Hnatiw, Anton Hrapchuk, Stefan Rogozinsky and Vawro Uly-shyn, (only the legible names have been included).
The first priest to visit this parish was Rev. Wasyi Zholdak who came in 1901. Succeeding visiting pastors, as noted in the parish book of 1902, were Rev. Sonzont Dydyk, OSBM, and Rev. Anton Strocky, OSBM. The first parish cantor was Nykola Melnyk who was appointed to this position on December 25, 1905.
In 1927, when the parish began construction of the present church, the members increased significantly. In addition to the above mentioned pioneers and their families, the following were the first financial sponsors of this church: Mike Regush, Kost (Gus) Bidulka, liko (Alex) Melnyk, Fedir Kisil, Petro Huchkowsky, Anton Bloshka, Maria Huchkowsky, Ivan Mykanik, Petro Manika, Nykola Kaminsky, Mykhaylo (Mike) Ka-minsky, Wasyi Kaminsky, Mykhaylo (Mike) Pryma, Maksym Magus, Yosyf Humeniuk, Wasyi Hrapchuk, Tanas Burowsky (Barowski), Petro Kowbel, Yanko (John) Wolkowich, Anton Twarynsky, Yosyf Huchkowsky, Yurko (George) Salahub, Yosyf Pryma, Petro Ternowsky, Yakiv (Jacob) Pryma, Ivan Kostiuk, Yakiv Burlack, Nestor Hnatiw, Petro Oritsky, Petro Hryhor-chuk, Ivan (John) Yaniv, Nykola Zilkowsky and Leon Hnatiw (parish register).
In 1942 the parish united 64 families with 135 youth (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 70 souls (Directory). In 1975 the numbers decreased significantly as the younger members moved to Saskatoon or left the province while the older parishioners retired in Rosth-ern or Saskatoon. In 1975 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Dean Peter Kryworuchka, pastor, Maurice Burlack, Mike Homeniuk, Roze Homeniuk, Nellie Burlack, Pauline Homeniuk, Mary Huchkowsky, Ann Mukanik, Dmytro Homeniuk and Bobby Mukanik.
The location of the church is colloquially given as “Kolo Kaminskykh” in reference to the nearby farmland of the Kaminsky family.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of The Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost), Rosthern farms in the year 2003 belongs to the Cudworth church district. The parish is currently being served by Rev. Vasyl Hnatkivskyy.