Rosthern Farms – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of the Nativity of the B.V.M. constructed 1925-1928 south of Rosthern; R.M. 403. Destroyed by fire 1963.
ROSTHERN — The church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was the second church of the parish.
The first church, a small log structure, was constructed in 1904 on a three-acre site six miles east and one mile south of Rosthern. Land for the church and cemetery was donated by Oleksa Tanaskiv. At that time the parish was served by Rev. W. Zholdak and Rev. S. Dydyk, OSBM. who blessed the church and cemetery. After twenty-one years the parish expanded and a larger church was constructed between 1925 and 1928. Episcopal visitations to the parish were made by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1916, Bishop Basil Ladyka in 1932 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1955.
The second cruciform wooden church, 40 x 18 feet, had a large central dome above the gable roof. The interior contained a sanctuary and two side altars dedicated to The Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer. The tabernacle and iconostas were designed and constructed by the artist Stepan Meush.
This parish church, with a membership until 1963, was served for many years by its pastor, Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. On July 18, 1963 it was struck by lightning and was completely destroyed by fire. A
memorial cross now stands on its site. A second cross commemorates the Holy Mission of 1942 directed by Rev. G. Shyshkowych, CSSR. The adjoining cemetery continues to serve as the parish cemetery although the parishioners have now moved to Rosthern and attend the church of SS. Peter and Paul.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1897 with settlers from the Borshchiv county. The founding members were: Nykola Pustiy, Ivan Dmytrunets, Ivan Kowbel, Oleksa Tanaskiv, Zakhariy Wozniak, Ivan Blocha, Vasyi’ Holiuk and Ivan Rawlyk. During construction of the first church, the parish consisted of 16 members. In 1941 there were 41 families and a total of 112 children and youth (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 50 souls (Directory), and in 1963 the parishioners joined the parish in Rosthern town.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary near Rosthern belonged to the church district of Saskatoon. The parish and church were often referred to as “Kolo Blokhiv”, in reference to the large pioneer family of Ivan Blocha in the vicinity.