SS. Peter and Paul church in Rosthern constructed 1963; R.M. 403.
ROSTHERN — The church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The parishioners under the direction of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka purchased the first church in 1952 from the Lutheran community for the sum of $800, This was a small wooden structure which was altered to the requirements of the Ukrainian Rite and served the parish until 1961. That year it was dismantled, on its site a larger structure was later constructed.
In 1963 during the pastorate of Rev. Rudolph Luzney, the present church was constructed utilizing some of the salvaged material from the first church. The wooden structure is in rectangular form, 38 x 18 feet, and has three small frontal cupolas. The main altar is in an elevated sanctuary with adjoining sacristies; the wall behind the main altar is dominated by a large oil on canvas painting of the church patron which is the artwork of Theodore Baran. Opposite the sanctuary, above the vestibule, is the choir loft which is reached by a stairway originating in the nave. The church contains wooden pews, is lighted with electricity and has central heating and plumbing facilities. The lower wall areas have imitation wood panelling while the remaining wall areas including the vaulted ceiling are finished in light colored donnacona; the floor is wooden and covered with a red carpet. A large, brightly illuminated chandelier is suspended from the center of the ceiling. The church basement serves as a small parish hall.
Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and blessed the cornerstone and the crosses of the church on May 26, 1963.
A parish hall was constructed near the church with financial assistance from the members of the Rosthern farms parish. Their church was struck by lightning on July 28, 1963 and was completely destroyed by fire; the fire insurance funds helped to cover construction costs of the Rosthern hall.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in the Rosthern area m 1897. In 1902 they organized into the parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit; this was the first Ukrainian Catholic parish in Saskatchewan located two miles east and six miles south of Rosthern. In 1904 a second parish under the patronage of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was established six miles east and one mile south of the village.
Permanent settlement in Rosthern occurred somewhat later and predominantly as a result of retirement or job opportunities. The Rosthern town parish was organized at the time of the acquisition of the first church in 1952; prior to this, the community was visited by pastors from the neighbouring parishes and holy services were held in the local Roman Catholic church. The first organizational meeting was held in 1952 in the newly acquired church and was directed by Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. Resultant to this meeting a decision was made to place the parish under the patronage of SS. Peter and Paul and the celebration of the church patrons’ feastday was designated to be the first Sunday following the calendrical feastday of the patrons. Also resultant to this meeting was the selection of the first parish executive consisting of: Rev. P. Kryworuchka, president; Dmytro Blocha, vice-president; Peter Woro-betz, secretary; Anton Burlack, treasurer; Peter Hrap-chak, Harry Cisecki and Michael Kawcuniak, members. In 1961 the parish registered 120 souls (Directory), in1975 there were 48 families and 17 single members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Dean Peter Kryworuchka, pastor, Maurice Holuk, Steve Kawcuniak, Alex Hiady, Dominic Pochipinski, Victor Pochipinski, Michael Tarasiuk, Anton Twarynsky, Michael Sereda, Frances Hrapchuk, Teklya Tarasiuk, Peter Hrapchuk, Walter Gamracy and Nykola (Nick) Ternowsky.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Rosthern belongs to the church district of Saskatoon.
Rosthern St. Peter & Paul Cemetery
Rosthern St. Peter & Paul Church
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Administrator - Humboldt, All Saints
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
Administrator – Cudworth District
Administrator – North Battleford and Hafford District
North Battleford, All Saints
922-108th Street North Battleford, SK S9A 2A8
Tel.: (Office) 306-664-2301; Rectory Office: 306-664-3459