Saskatoon – St. George’s Cathedral
St. George’s Cathedral constructed 1939-1943 at 206 Ave M So., Saskatoon.
SASKATOON — The cathedral church of S< George is the second church of the parish.
The first church was purchased in 1917, during th pastorate of Rev. Peter Kamenecky, and was moved t the present parish site m 1918. This was a small woode structure which had served the Roman Catholic paris of St. Paul on 22nd Street and Spadina Crescent i Saskatoon; the church was purchased for $500 and, afti relocation, it was remodelled to befit the requiremen of the Ukrainian Catholic Rite. Bishop Nicetas Bud! blessed the church on Easter Sunday, 1918. In 193 after serving the parish for 21 years, the church w sold. Construction of the present church was begun 1939 and completed in 1943. On June 16, 1957 t church was blessed by Metropolitan Maxime Herma iuk and Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The cathedral church is a massive mason structure which stands on a high concrete basement a
measures 104 x 90 feet; the intersecting arms are 30 feet wide. Its architectural plan is a four column cruciform Byzantine domed basilica with north, south and east apses, and seven domes; the central dome contains electric church bells.
The church is east-west oriented with the sanctuary contained in the eastern apse; the north and south apses contain confessionals. Towering high above the main altar is an imposing and architecturally exquisite baldechin, or pidnebesne, which was designed by Stepan Meush. Behind the main altar is the cathedra, at the north side of the altar is the prothesis while at its south is the bishop’s throne. Two side altars, which are dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Christ Who Loves Mankind, are found on corresponding sides of the sanctuary along the eastern lateral walls of the cruciform structure; entries adjacent to these side altars lead to the sacristies which can also be entered from the sanctuary.
The central area of the church is dominated by a large octagonal dome which is reinforced by the arcades of the vaulted ceilings and is supported by four massive octagonal columns. Each side of the octagonal drum supporting the dome has two arched windows which collectively illuminate the dome.
The nave, also referred to as the body of the church, contains wooden pews seating approx. 500 persons. The church has a wooden floor, which is carpeted at the center aisle and sanctuary area with a luxurious red carpet, and is fully equipped with modern facilities; electricity, plumbing and central gas heating.
There are seven entrances into the church: the main entrance and two additional entries are found at the west side of the church; four entries are at the lateral extending arms of the cruciform structure with two at the west side and two at the east side, the latter leading into the sacristies. The narthex, or main entrance, has undergone some architectural changes: originally it was portico-like with two columns supporting the suspended choir gallery above. Between 1952 and 1953, during the pastorate of Rev. Myroslaw Kolodey and Rev. Julian Habrusevich, this area was enclosed and presently serves as the vestibule. The two side entrances on corresponding sides of the main entrance lead through a series of stairways to the nave, the choir loft and the church basement.
In 1948, during the pastorate of Rev. M. Pelech and Rev. Michael Kurylo, the church basement was finished; it contains a large central hall with an elevated stage, a furnace room, a club room, kitchen facilities and two classrooms which were used for Ukrainian language instruction, catechism classes and, later, sado-chok (kindergarten) classes. The church structure has undergone several periods of restoration made possible through the generous donations of the parishioners; the furnishings in the church were either constructed by or generously funded by: Jim Patrick, John Shudlik, Wasyi Bureny, John Shawchuk and the cathedral branches of the Ladies Church Auxiliary and the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada.
The artistic decoration of the church was done by Theodore Baran; the sanctuary was painted in 1950. Completion of the entire church took place in 1954-1955 and 1968. Representative of true Byzantine art, the art work complements the architectural style of the chi and inspires a spirit of contemplation and revere The ornamentation, done in carat gold leaf and enhances the richness and beauty of the church. Bel the main altar hangs a large framed oil on cai painting of the Mother of God representing Immaculate Conception; it is painted on a 23 carat leaf background. All remaining icons, the baldechin the ornamentation also have true gold leaf gilding. vaulted ceiling above the sanctuary is dominated b) Holy Trinity and four angels representing Toil, Enii enment, Creativity and Justice. The sanctuary \ have stately portraits of St. George, St. John Chn torn and St. Basil the Great.
The large central dome, which dominates the r was painted during the Marian Year, 1954, an dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God. Varying sh of blue appear at the ceiling of the dome thus ere;
an endless heavenly canopy while the drum of the c contains murals of the most important events of M life. The four pendentives, which are the trian; formations beneath the drum, contain symbolic p ings of the four Evangelists.
All reinforcing arcades are decorated with sym medallions and ornamentation; the main arcade a the sanctuary is decorated with a series of med< paintings depicting the most important even Christ’s life which are to be eventually incorporatec an iconostas. The north and south vaulted ce contain paintings of St. Anne with the Child Mar St. Joseph with the Christ Child; both painting surrounded by a circle of angels. The walls of the accommodate life size paintings of St. Olha Volodymyr, the Holy Apostle Andrew, St. lose and murals of the Resurrection, Christ at the Mount of Olives, Christ entrusting St. Peter with the Keys to His Church and the Transfiguration.
The vaulted ceiling above the main entrance portrays symbolic paintings of God the Father and Holy Mary the Protectress; the Mother of God extends her arms over the Sobor of St. Sophia in Kyiv (Kiev), the Sobor of St. George in Lviv, the maple leaf emblem of Canada and the trident emblem of Ukraine. Countless other paintings and symbolic ornamentation are found in the choir gallery, the vestibule and as decorative borders around all windows and other areas of the church.
Within the periphery of the parish property, just north of the church, is “The Museum of Ukrainian Culture” organized by the Eparchial Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada; the structure was constructed in 1920, during the pastorate of Rev. Roman Krupa, and served as a parish hall until the 1960’s. To the south of the church is the parish rectory which was constructed in 1950 during the pastorate of Rev. M. Pelech; it replaced the original rectory which was purchased in 1920. St. George’s “Youth Center”, located on the corner of Avenue M and 20th Street, is a dream realized through the tireless efforts of the cathedral’s long time pastors: Rev. Mitrat J. Olynyk and Rev. Canon W. Iwaszko. It was constructed in 1962-1963 and contains classrooms, a gymnasium, club-rooms, kitchen and banquet facilities; the “Youth Center” is the focal point of countless organizational and social functions of the parish and the Ukrainian community of Saskatoon and Saskatchewan.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in Saskatoon and outlying area in 1910. The founding members of the parish were: Stefan Wozniak, Ivan (John) Kmet, Yo. Melnyk, An. Shakh (Shach), Iv. (J.) Kolysher, A. Dushka, A. Witiuk, Dm. Romanow, Fedor Konowalchuk, Dm. Hnatiuk, Dm. Chobotiuk, N. Koshman, Lev. Burdey-ney, M. Kowbel, Iv. Kowbel, P. Badyk, F. (Teodore) Rygailo, N. Toporovsky, Iv. Bohonos, P. Matvichuk, Hr. Romanow, Hr. Shulhan, Mochulsky, V. Iwanicha. The settlers were initially served by the Basilian Fathers, later they were spiritually served by Rev. M. Kuzma, Rev. Emilian Andruchowicz, Rev. Ksenophont Rozdolski, Rev. Roman Cherepahiak, Rev. Nicholas Shumsky and Rev. Andrew Sarmatiuk.
The first parish meeting was held at the home of Toma Hawryliuk (T. Hagart) on September 29, 1912. At this meeting the first parish executive and a fund raising committee were selected consisting of: Toma Hawryliuk (T. Hagart), Teodore Rygailo, Hryhoriy Shulhan, Dmytro Romanow, Volodymyr Hrywnak, Maksym Small, Ivan Bohonos, Ivan (John) Kowbel, Yarema Demchuk, Stefan Wozniak, Semen Baliasewich, Semen Swystun, Ivan Feschuk, Yosef Melnyk, liko Kulpak, Yakiv Dubyk, Fedor Konowalchuk, Pavlo Shulhan, Adam Dushka, and Nykola Marchuk (Parish Register).
In 1912 the parish purchased two corner lots for $850; these lots were resold in 1918 and a seven lot site on Avenue M was purchased from the Separate Schools for the sum of $2,500. The first parish church was placed on this large site which the parishioners hoped would one day accommodate a beautiful stylistic church. Their plans for future construction were greatly supported by the pastors Rev. Peter Pasichnyk, Rev. Wolodymyr Zurawecki, Rev. Joseph Bala, CSSR., Rev. Paul Sula-tycki and Rev. Michael Olenchuk and were realized during the pastorate of Rev. Michael Pelech.
The parish meeting of February 7, 1937 approved the architectural plan of Rev. Philip Ruh, OMI, adopted methods for financing the construction and selected a fund raising committee; the members of this committee were: D. Chobotiuk, D. Rawliuk, P. Sawula, H. Seniuk, L. Burdeyney, T. Matvichuk and P. Kolysher. Two months later a construction committee was selected consisting of Rev. M. Pelech, J. Kmet, L. Burdeyney, J. Kolysher, H. Seniuk and J. Kalyn. To finalize the architectural details of the plan Osyp Pryma was selected to act as the liaison between the parish and the architect. Rev. Philip Ruh of Winnipeg.
These preparations culminated in the construction of the church in 1939 which became a cathedral in 1951. Construction was carried out by the parishioners under the foremanship of Michael Yanchynsky. The pastor at this time was Rev. Michael Pelech who not only provided a large interest free loan but also physically worked alongside his parishioners during the construction. This enthusiastic support was continued by Rev. Walter. Firman during Rev. Pelech’s service in the army.
The cathedral church, mother church of the Saskatchewan Eparchy, witnessed the installation of Bishop Andrew Roborecki by Archbishop Basil Lady-ka, the ordination into the priesthood of Rev. Andrew Muzyka of Saskatoon, Rev. Rudloph Luzney, Rev. Raymond Boyko, Rev. Richard Kubiak and Rev. Adam Pidwerbeski and the ordination to the deaconship of Rev. Stephan Kurywchak. In this cathedral. Bishop Andrew Roborecki bestowed high sacerdotal honors of Mitral upon Rev. John Olynyk and Canon upon Rev. Wolodymyr Iwaszko.
This cathedral has been visited by every Ukrainian Bishop in the world: Archbishop John Buchko from Rome; Archbishop Gabriel Bukatko from Yugoslavia;
Bishop John Prasko from Australia; Bishop Andrew Sapelak from Argentina; Bishop Jaroslav Gabro from Chicago; Metropolitan Maxime Hermaniuk of Winnipeg; Bishop Neil Savaryn and Bishop Demetrius M. Greschuk of Edmonton; Bishop Isidore Borecky of Toronto; and Bishop Jerome I. Chimy of New Westminster. On various occasions, the cathedral was also visited by eminent clergy of the Roman Catholic church and other Christian Churches; it is befitting to note the names of two Roman Catholic Bishops of the Saskatoon Diocese who often visited the cathedral and befriended the Ukrainian people: the late Bishop Francis J. Klein and Bishop James P. Mahoney who is the present Bishop of the Diocese. In 1972 Pontifical Divine Liturgy was celebrated here by Bishop-Confessor Wasyi We-lychkowskyj. His Beatitude Cardinal Patriarch Josyf Slipyj visited the cathedral and faithful on three occasions. The Patriarch celebrated Solemn Pontifical Holy Services in the cathedral church on July 9, 1968, , April 22, 1973 and November 6, 1976. In 1973 on Palm Sunday, the cathedral parish faithful had the exceptional fortune of receiving willow branches blessed by the Confessor of Faith Patriarch Joseph. In 1976, when the Eparchy celebrated its 25th anniversary, with joy the faithful received the Confessor’s holy blessing.
This holy place of worship provided the setting for the joyous as well as the solemn events of the Ukrainian Catholic community of Saskatchewan such as the funeral services for the Rev. Peter Pasichnyk, Rev. Nicholas Habak, Rev. Basil Sawchuk, DD, Rev. Nicholas Budz, Rev. Vladimir Flak, Rev. Gregory Mykoliw, DD Rev. Sister Olena Olynyk, SMI, and Rev. Sister Maria Petryshyn of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
The church is visited yearly by hundreds who are moved by its solemn and deeply spiritual atmosphere and marvel at the beauty of its architecture and artistic decoration. Visitors include community and political leaders, and children from the Saskatoon school systems including high school and university students. The cathedral, as architectural and artistic expression, equals other monumental buildings of Canada.
The Parish Registry Book records that the parish meeting of October 24, 1912, was attended by 40 persons; the financial report of the meeting held on February 3, 1924 states that $30 was collected for the monthly membership fees, which at that time was 50c a month. In 1941 the parish registered 80 members with 200 children (Prop. Knyha). The Jubilee Book of 1912 -1962 records that in 1962 there were 450 members, a total of approx. 2,300 souls in the parish. In 1975, the total parish membership consisted of 700 member families and 250 single members. The parish chronicle preserves for posterity the names of two cantors who served the parish for many years, Petro Badyk and Petro Yundak, and the names of two choir directors who directed the Cathedral Choir for many years, Osyp Pryma and Sviatoslav (Stan) Chepyha. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rt. Rev. J. Olynyk, Rt. Rev. W. Iwaszko, V. Rev. P. Kryworuchka, Rev. V. Mudri, Wilfred Barranoik, Michael Boychuk, Dmytro Boyko, Peter Chelak, Stan Chepyha, John Chrusch, Mike Chuhayoski, Ivan Duda, Elizabeth Gabruch, William Gurash, Katherine Hnatiuk, Paul Hnenny, Peter Kaminsky, Michael Kobzey, Peter Kolysher, John Kornylo, Wasyi Kowaluk, Peter Krawchuk, Wasyi Maschak, John Matwejko, Carl Melnyk, Mary Micha-luk, Peter Nowosad, John Olesko, Emily Panamaroff, George Panamaroff, Steve Patola, Mike Philipenko, George Pidskalny, Tonia Pidskalny, John Postey, Esa-dore Pozniak, Theodore Rybchynski, Fred Saranchuk, William Shinkaruk, Marion Shutiak, Peter Shutiak, William Smysniuk, Bill Sorba, John Taniuk, Sam Todos, Rev. Sister Victoria Hunchak, SMI, Mike Wasylenko, Anna Werbicki and Gloria Woytowich.
The Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George in Saskatoon is the Episcopal See of the Most Rev. Bishop Andrew J. Roborecki, DD, Bishop of the Saskatoon Eparchy.
1912 First Parish Organizational Meeting
1913 Elected first Parish Committee
1913 Two Lots on Avenue M purchased
1916 Episcopal visitation by Bishop Nykyta Budka
1917 Additional Lots purchased from Separate Catholic School Board
1918 The First Church transferred to present location
1919 First Residence for a priest purchased
1919 Parish Women’s Organization of St. Olga
1920 Blessing of the Parish Hall “Prosvita”
1925 Opening of Parish Library
1929 Beginning of the Building Fund for new church
1933 Bishop Roborecki Branch of Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood
1936 Fr. Michael Pelech permanent parish priest
1937 Church Fund Raising & Building Committees formed
1939 Building of Present Church
1947 Branch of Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League
1948 First Assistant priest appointed Fr. Michael Kurylo
1950 Second Priest Residence built
1951 Enthronement of the First Eparch of Saskatoon
1952 New pastoral team Fr. M. Kolodey & Fr. J. Habrusewich
1953 Cathedral Pastor Fr. John Olynyk
1953 Parish Assistant Priest Fr. Wolodymyr Iwaszko
1954 Interior painting of the Cathedral by Theodore Baran
1955 The Cathedral News – Weekly Parish Bulletin
1956 Ordination to priesthood ofFr. Andrew Muzyka
1957 Solemn Blessing of the Cathedral
1962 50^ Anniversary of the St. George’s Parish
1962 St. George’s Youth Centre
1966 Museum relocated to former Parish Hall “Prosvita”
1968 Visit of His Beatitude Cardinal Josyf Slipyj
1970 New benches at Cathedral
1973 Second Visit of His Beatitude Cardinal Josyf Slipyj
1975 Assistant at Cathedral Fr. Vladimir Mudri
1978 Assistant at Cathedral Fr. Leonard Romanow
1981 Cathedral Pastor Fr. Wolodymyr Iwaszko
1982 Burial of Bishop Andrew Roborecki
1982 Official Opening of St. George’s Senior Citizens Residence
1982 Ordination to priesthood of Fr. John Melnyk
1984 Enthronement of the Second Eparch of Saskatoon
1984 Pastor Fr. Rudolph Luzney
1986 Blessing of the present Priest’s Residence
1986 Visit of His Beatitude Cardinal Myroslaw Lubachivskyj
1987 75th Anniversary of the St George’s Parish
1989 Ordination to priesthood ofFr. Ken Nowakowski
1991 Celebration of 100 years of Ukrainian Settlement in Canada
1991 Installation of Iconostas & New Boiler
1992 Cathedral Pastor Fr. Vladimir Mudri
1993 60th Anniversary of Bishop Roborecki Branch ofUCBC
1993 Cathedral major Roof Renovation
1993 Ordination to priesthood ofFr. Andrei Kachur
1994 Investiture ofFr. Vladimir Mudri as Protopresbyter & Mitrat
1995 Installation of Elevator at Parish Hall
1995 Parish Statutes approved
1996 Enthronement of me Third Eparch of Saskatoon
1997 50th Anniversary of Cathedral Branch of UCWLC
1997 Foundation dam-proofing & installation of basement windows
1999 Washrooms at church basement
2000 New Altar and Kyvot
2001 Visit of His Beatitude LubomyrHuzar
2001 Enthronement of the Forth Eparch of Saskatoon
2001 New roof at Parish Hall
Updated December 2020
The Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George in Saskatoon is the Episcopal See of the Most Rev. Bishop Bryan Joseph Bayda, CSsR, Eparch of the Saskatoon Eparchy.
The Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George, Saskatoon, falls under the Deanery of Saskatoon, under the pastoral charge of the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George, which includes Saskatoon & District, with Father Janko Kolosnjaji as the Rector.
St. George’s Cathedral
St. George’s Cathedral
210 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, Sk S7M 2K4
Church Bulletins & Website
The Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral
of St. George
210 Ave M South
Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4
DIVINE LITURGY SCHEDULE
(as of January 3-2021)
Saturdays: 5:00 pm – Bilingual
Sundays: 9:30 am – Bilingual
Weekdays: 8: 00 a.m. – Bilingual
First Friday of the Month:
6:30 pm – Exposition of the Holy Sacrament & Rosary
7:00 pm – Divine Liturgy – Bilingual
Feastdays: 10:00 a.m. – Bilingual
BAPTISM: By appointment
CONFESSIONS – СПОВІДЬ:
30 minutes before Liturgy
or by appointment
MATRIMONY: By appointment
(one year in advance)
VISITATION OF THE SICK: Call any time
HOLY COMMUNION AT HOMES:
First Friday of the month
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Saskatoon
SASKATOON & DISTRICT PARISHES
Administrator - Cudworth District
Administrator - North Battleford and Hafford District
Saskatoon, St. George's Cathedral
210 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4;
Telephone: (Office) 306-664-2301; (Res) 306-244-2604
Cell: 306-370-2866; (Rectory Office) 306-664-3459
Yamniuk, Deacon Myron
10th Street East and Munroe Avenue,
(Church Auditorium) 306-343-0033;
(Res) 1202-11th St. East, Saskatoon, SK S7H 0G3
Telephone: (Office) 306-343-6516
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, CSsR, Pastor
Smolinski, Very Rev. Michael, CSsR, Assistant Pastor
Saskatoon, Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2
Telephone:(Church) 306-652-4837; (Res) 306-477-1704; (Cell) 306-280-2941
Administrator – Cudworth District
Administrator – North Battleford and Hafford District
North Battleford, All Saints
922-108th Street North Battleford, SK S9A 2A8
Tel.: (Office) 306-664-2301; Rectory Office: 306-664-3459
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628