Sheho Village – Christ the King
1954 p. Sheho church of Christ the King constructed 1954; P.M. 275.
SHEHO — The church of Christ the King is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1954 on a level, landscaped with trees, three lot site in Sheho. The parish was honoured with several visitations by Bishop Andrew Roborecki who blessed the church on August 1, 1965.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 56 x 28 feet, with two front towers joined by a high semicircular front wall which rises above the gable roof. A series of three arched windows is found above the large double front doors; all windows of the structure, including the false windows on the drums of the cupolas above the towers, are arched and maintain a consistent ornamental character. At the base of the towers are entries into the church basement which serves as a parish hall equipped with all the necessary kitchen facilities.
In the interior, the church is divided into three principal areas consisting of an elevated sanctuary with the main altar and two adjoining sacristies, a nave seating approx. 100 persons, and a vestibule. A choir loft extends above the vestibule and is reached by a wooden stairway originating in the nave. The entire interior is dominated by a vaulted ceiling. The church has electricity, central oil heating and plumbing facilities. In 1965 the church was artistically decorated with murals and ornamentation by Theodore Baran.
The parishioners constructed the church, at a total cost of $12,000 and countless hours of voluntary labour, according to architectural plans drafted by Harry Chyrski and Alex Sebulski. The church site was donated by Michael Sawchuk.
Near the church stands a wooden mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1961. The two and a quarter acre parish cemetery site, which was purchased by the parishioners in 1959 for $400, is half a mile from the church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1903 predominantly from the village of Volkivtsi of the Borshchiv county. The parish had thirteen founding members. The first Divine Liturgy of the parish was celebrated by Rev. Gregory Shyshkowych, CSSR, on Sunday, October 29, 1950 at the local Roman Catholic church. The first parish executive consisted of the following: Redemptorist Fathers from Yorkton, president; Michael Sawchuk, vice-president; Harry Chyrski, second vice-president; Bill Storozhyk, secretary; Joseph Krochak, treasurer.
In 1961 the parish had 100 souls (Directory), in 1967 there were 57 souls (questionnaire), and in 1975, 13 families and 10 single members were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Michael Schudio, CSSR, pastor, Peter Sebulski, Anne Springinatic, Roman Sniher and Leonard Sebulski.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of Christ the King at Sheho is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.
Sheho Town Christ the King Church
Sheho Town Christ the King Cemetery
Yorkton District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George