Speers – Ss. Peter and Paul
Church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1956 in easterly Speers; R.M. 436.
SPEERS — The church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The first church was originally the village Legion Hall which was purchased by the parishioners in 1948 and altered to meet the requirements of holy services. This church served the parish until the construction of the present church at which time it was resold to the village of Speers.
The present church was constructed in 1956 on a one acre site in easterly Speers. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Rev. Alexander Schesniuk. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone and the church on August 30, 1964; on July 15, 1973, Bishop Andrew Roborecki joined with the parishioners in their joyous celebration of the 25th anniversary of the parish.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 50 x 28 feet, standing on a high concrete basement. It has a shingled gable roof with a large decorative metal cross at its frontal summit. The exterior walls have insul brick siding, the interior walls are finished with clear sanded plywood and are painted. The church is east-west oriented with a west main entrance reached by concrete steps.
In the interior, the church consists of a sanctuary with the main altar, the nave and the vestibule. The sanctuary is elevated and has north and south adjoining sacristies; the south sacristy has an entry into the church basement and an exit to the church grounds. The church patron painting behind the main altar and the two traditional nave paintings of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ Who Loves Mankind, are glass mounted oil prints. In the nave, rows of wooden pews seating approx. 80 persons are found on corresponding sides of the tetrapod. The entire interior is dominated by a vaulted ceiling; the floor of the church is wooden, a carpet extends through the center aisle and throughout the sanctuary area. The vestibule contains stairways leading to the choir loft, which extends above the vestibule and part of the nave, and the church basement which serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities. The church has electrical lighting and central gas heating.
The parishioners constructed the church through their financial contributions and voluntary labour;
construction costs totalled approx. $10,000; chief foreman of the construction was Michael Lebed. All construction details were under the auspices of the parish executive and the construction committee which were headed by Rev. Alexander Schesniuk and consisted of: John Hrynkiw, John Partyka, Michael Bomok, William S. Bomok Sr., Nick Pidwerbeski, Michael Kuzyk and Leon Bomok. The decorative church cross was made gratis by Wasyi Huziak. The church site was donated by William S. Bomok Sr. A local school donated a bell to the parish; a belfry is planned for the future. The parish utilizes the cemetery of the neighbouring Hafford parish.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in Speers in 1920 predominantly from the Ternopil county. Prior to 1948 they attended holy services at neighbouring parishes. In 1948 they purchased the Legion Hall. At this time the parish was spiritually served by Rev. Myroslav Oleshko, Rev. Myron Pylypchuk and Rev. Michael Horoshko. The founding members of the parish were: John Hrynkiw, William S. Bomok Sr., Alex Partyka, John Partyka, Mike Kuzyk, Peter Bomok, Michael Bomok, Stan Koshyna, Nick Pidwerbeski, John Pacaluyko, Walter Pylypchuk, Mike Chayka, Frank Luckowich, Nick Tomman, Philip Baliesh, Leon Bomok, Mike Kormish, Victor Pyra and Mike Kaluha.
In 1961 the parish registered 70 souls (Directory), in 1967 there were 50 individual members and in 1975, 11 families and 4 single members, a total of approx. 40 persons, were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship: Rev. Roman Homenko, pastor, William S. Bomok Sr., William Bomok Jr., Steve Michalowski, Nick Pidwerbeski, Nick Tomman and Peter Bomok.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul, Speers, is under the pastoral charge of Hafford.
Speers Ss. Peter & Paul Church
Bulletins for North Battleford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Cell: (306) 961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8138