Tadmore – St. John the Baptist (closed)
Church of St. John the Baptist constructed 1943 near Tadmore; R.M. 304.
TADMORE — The church of St. John the Baptist is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1943 on a two acre site near the southern boundary of Tadmore. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Rev. Peter Pasichnyk. Bishop Neil Savaryn blessed the church on June 10, 1946; Bishop Andrew Roborecki consecrated the church on July 6, 1952.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 44 x 26 feet, with a central blind cupola at the axis of the architecturally complementing shingled gable roof. Its exterior walls are finished in painted wood siding, the rectangular windows have arched summits. The church is west-east oriented with an east main entrance, preceded by a small adjoining open porch, leading directly into the nave. A choir loft extends over the main entrance and is reached by a stairway at the north wall of the nave. The west sancturary with the main altar has a south adjoining sacristy which exits to the church grounds. Along the lateral walls of the nave, on corresponding sides of the sanctuary, are two small side altars dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind;
the two icons at the side altars and the church patron representation behind the main altar are glass mounted oil prints. All interior walls are finished with plaster tiles with a sand-like texture, the ceiling is finished in donnacona, the floor is wooden and carpeted at the central aisle and before the main altar. Wooden pews in the nave provide seating for approx. 50 persons. Lighting is by electricity, central heating is by oil.
The church was constructed at a total cost of $4,000 through the generous financial donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners who worked under the foremanship of Michael Hrywkiw assisted by Anton Hrywkiw. The combined church and cemetery site was purchased for $30.
A wooden mission cross was installed near the church in 1962. The wooden belfry nearby contains a bell purchased for $22. West of the church, in continuation of the parish property, is the parish cemetery. The parish hall was purchased in 1973 and is located one-quarter mile north of the church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1904 predominantly from the Borschchiv county. Initially the settlers were registered at the parishes at Antonivka and Olesha. The Tadmore parish was established in 1941 by . 22 founding members (questionnaire). In 1961 the parish registered 90 souls (Directory), in 1975 there were 22 families and 8 single members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Peter Hardybala, pastor, Walter Boyko, John Shasko, Anton Hrywkiw, Walter Pankivich and Paul Kachur.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. John the Baptist, Tadmore, is under the pastoral charge of Buchanan.