Tway Farms – St. Paraskevia (closed)
Church of St. Paraskevia constructed 1904, 2 miles west of Tway; R.M. 430. Destroyed by fire April 16, 1973.
TWAY (farms) — The church of St. Paraskevia is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1904 on a two acre site two miles west of Tway. In 1936 the church was blessed by Archbishop Basil Ladyka. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the
parish with several visitations and in 1970 served a Moleben in the church; this was the last pontifical holy service in the church for on April 16, 1973, the church was set ablaze during a prairie grass fire and was completely destroyed. Still remaining on the church site are: a parish hall which stood adjacent to the church, a wooden belfry which was constructed in 1904, and a cross which was installed in 1937 commemorating the Holy Mission directed by Rev. Dmytro Hawryliuk, CSSR.
The log constructed rectangular church, 22 x 15 feet, had interior and exterior painted wood siding, a shingled gable roof, and a
small centrally located cupola-tower apexed by a cross. It was constructed by Vasyi’ Goy, Martin Zip and Yosyf Solomon; construction costs totalled $300. In the interior, the sanctuary and main altar were separated from the nave by an iconostas which was constructed by the parishioners in 1936. The nave contained several wooden pews seating approx. 25 persons. Lighting was with candles.
The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1899 from the Radekhiv and Horodenka counties. The founding members of the parish were: Petro Goy, Yakiv Sarchuk, Petro Oranchuk, Roman Kostiuk, Vasyi’ Goy, Marko Hawryliuk, Martin Zip (Prop. Knyha p. 183 lists the name of Martin Zin), Fedko Wasylyshyn, Stefan Senchyna, Petro Karasiuk, Ivan Prytula, Stefan Gu-lanski and Matviy Shewchuk. The first meeting regarding the construction of the church was held in 1903 at the home of Vasyi’ Goy; a year later, through their private efforts, the church was constructed. In 1941, the parish numbered 25 members with 90 children (Prop. Knyha); in 1961, there were 20 souls (Directory) and in 1967, 10 families were accounted for. Later, when the church was destroyed by the fire, the members participated in holy services at the neighbouring parish of Tway village.
In the year 2003 Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Paraskevia, Tway (farms) is under the pastoral charge of Cudworth.
Update September 2003
The historic site of St. Paraskevia continues as the cemetery is still in operation. The few remaining local members carry on the maintenance of it.
A monument in memory of St. Paraskevia Parish and it’s original members was donated and erected in June of 1980. The monument, an inspiration of preservation, was donated by Mrs. Sophia Kostyna, daughter of Peter Goy. Also in 1980, a new entrance gate was designed, installed and purchased from Luna Iron Works of Saskatoon.
Another addition came about in 1987, this being the small walk-in gate placed beside the big one. It matches the design of the main gate and was made be Sylvester Gulansky. At a later date, the archway over the entrance gate, with the cemetery name, was made by Tony Romanchuk.
The old hall was not used and was deteriorating badly, thus it was demolished. The belfry built in 1904, still remains with the bell being rung at funerals and grave-side services. July of 1999 brought an improvement to it by putting on new light blue vinyl siding. In July of 2001, a bright medium blue metal roofing replaced the old shingles on the belfry. The cross installed in 1937 deteriorated and was replaced with a new white metal cross in 2000. It was placed on the spot exactly where the entrance to the church used to be.
Cutting of grass is done by volunteers organized by the committee. The present day membership stands at 18 of which many are from a distance. The cemetery at present is under the directorship of Walter Gural and John Romanchuk and is under the pastoral services of Cudworth.