Uhryniv – St. Nicholas (closed)
Uhryniv church of St. Nicholas constructed 1928, 6 miles south of Krydor; R.M. 435.
UHRYNIV — The church of St. Nicholas is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1909 on a four acre site six miles south of Krydor. This church was under the patronage of St. Stephen and soon became too small to accommodate the increasing membership of the parish. Consequently, in 1928 the parishioners constructed the second church on the same site. Archbishop Basil Ladyka visited this church in 1933, Bishop Andrew Roborecki made several visitations to the parish and last celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on October 6, 1975.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 42 x 38 feet, with a small blind cupola at the axis of its intersecting wings. Its exterior walls are finished with stucco, the interior walls have v-joint siding. The architecturally complementing gable roof is shingled, the dome of the blind cupola has a white sheet metal finish and is apexed by a three-armed cross. The church is east-west oriented with an east elevated sanctuary which contains the main altar and has a north adjoining sacristy with an exit to the church grounds. A choir loft extends over part of the west wing and is reached by a stairway originating in the nave. In 1940 the church was artistically decorated by an artist named Bryck; the only painting preserved to date is the representation of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary which was funded by the young married men and women of the parish. The church has a vaulted ceiling which dominates the interior, a wooden floor which is carpeted at the central aisle and in the sanctuary area, and wooden pews which seat approx. 60 persons. Candles are used for lighting, an oil heater provides the heating. The parishioners constructed the church through their voluntary labour and generous financial contributions. Chief foreman of the construction was Mykhaylo (Mike) Hnatiuk; the church committee at that time consisted of Wasyi Charko, Ivan Parchoma, Kuzma Woytiuk and Bartko Badowsky (questionnaire 1967).
Near the church stands a two bell masonry bell tower while adjacent to it stands a wooden cross commemorating the Holy Missions of 1952 and 1957 which were directed by Rev. Andrew Choronzy and Rev. Michael Reshetucha. The parish cemetery is a short distance from the church and is a continuation of the parish property.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1905 from the Sokal county. The parish founding members were: Semen Parchoma, Stefan Kashuba, Yosyfat Kozak, Teodor Woytiuk, liko Chaban, Yurko Charko, Ivan Small and Petro Slipchuk. In 1941 the parish registered 20 members with 43 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 60 souls (Directory), and in 1975, 10 families. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Roman Homenko, acting pastor, Paul Charko, Michael Sy-doruk. Napoleon Zarubiak. Gloria Woytiuk, Mary Bazarkewich, John Charko and Peter Woytiuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Nicholas, Uhryniv, is under the pastoral charge of Krydor.
The parish is also known by the name “Bilya Parchomy” meaning “near Parchoma’s place” as the church site was adjacent to the homestead of Semen Parchoma one of the founding members.
Updated December 2020
The Ukrainian Catholic Church of St. Nicholas, Uhryniv, falls under the Deanery of Saskatoon, under the pastoral charge of the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George, which includes the North Battleford and Hafford District, with Father Janko Kolosnjaji as parish administrator.
Uhryniv St. Nicholas Church
Uhryniv St. Nicholas Cemetery
Bulletins for North Battleford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Administrator - Humboldt, All Saints
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
Administrator – Cudworth District
Administrator – North Battleford and Hafford District
North Battleford, All Saints
922-108th Street North Battleford, SK S9A 2A8
Tel.: (Office) 306-664-2301; Rectory Office: 306-664-3459