Church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1942-1943 in westerly Vonda; R.M. 372.
VONDA — The church of the Sacred Heart is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed between 1942 and 1943 on a four acre site in westerly Vonda. The first Divine Liturgy m the yet uncompleted structure was celebrated in 1942 by Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations and blessed the church on June 24, 1951.
The wood constructed rectangular church, 58 x 28 feet, stands on a high concrete basement, has three frontal cupolas, painted exterior narrow wood siding and a shingled gable roof. Two porches with low roofs adjointhe structure; the west porch serves as a vestibule, the east porch serves as the entry into the church basement parish hall. In the interior the walls are finished in pressboard while the vaulted ceiling is finished with donnacona and painted a sky blue color. The wooden floor is covered with linoleum; at the central aisle and in the sanctuary area it is carpeted with a dark red carpet. Behind the main altar in the elevated sanctuary hangs a large oil on canvas painting of the church patron which is the artwork of Paul Zabolotny. Two small traditional holy images in the nave, on corresponding sides of the main altar, are glass mounted oil prints. The church has a choir loft which is reached from the south wall of the nave, wooden pews seating approx. 100 persons, electricity and central oil heating.
Construction of this church was accomplished through private donations, fund raising projects organized by the women of the parish, and proceeds from the Kolyady and Shchedrivky (Christmas and Epiphany caroling) taught by cantor Michael Skakun and amateur play productions directed by Michael Bodnarchuk and Matviy Gabruch. Through these collected funds the construction material was purchased and Alexander Sembalerus was hired as foreman; the construction itself was carried out voluntarily by the parishioners. Additional assistance in both the construction and fund raising was given to the community by the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox and their families.
Near the church stands a mission cross dating to 1942, and adjacent to it stands a belfry which contains a bell donated by John Chruszcz (Chrusch). Also on church property, a parish National Home was constructed in 1952 in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of Ukrainian settlement in Canada. This was accomplished during the pastorate of Rev. John Olynyk and under the leadership of Michael Chamey, the foremanship of Wasyi Starosta and the auspices of the parish executive consisting of: Michael Glagowsky, Joseph Boyenko, Wasyi Chamey and John Chruszcz. The priest’s residence, four lots east of the church, was purchased in 1947.
The arrival of Ukrainian settlers in this area began in 1904 from the Borshchiv county. Settlement in the Vonda village occurred somewhat later predominantly from the parishes of Borshchiv and Smuts farms; the latter is also known as “Pryymovoho”. The first priest who served this community and encouraged them to construct a church was Rev. S. Semczuk. Construction of the church was eventually realized through the help of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. The first organizational meeting,’also attended by Rev. P. Krywonichka, took place at the home of Yakiv Bazhowsky in December 1941; the parish executive selected at this meeting consisted of Peter Starosta, Michael Kulyk and Peter Slywka. One year later, in addition to those already mentioned the following were included into the parish executive: Wasyi Chamey, Anna Wasylciw, Maria Chuback, Kateryna Bodnar, Mykhaylo Wasylciw, Fedir Chuback and Michael Mikituk (questionnaire 1975).
In 1941 the parish registered 207 souls, in 1961, 16′;souls and in 1975, 156 persons were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, pastor, Anthony Slywka, Wasyi Chamey, William Bidulka, Victor Slywka and Nicholas Chrusch.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart at Vonda is the seat of the pastoral district of Vonda with satellite parishes at Smuts, Laniwci, Bodnari, Prud’homme-Havryliuky, and Peterson. Due to the shortage of priests, this pastoral district does not at present have its own pastor and is served by the acting pastor Rev. Lubomyr Ramach.
Vonda Sacred Heart Church
Vonda Sacred Heart Cemetery
Bulletins for Saskatoon District Parishes
Liturgical Schedule - Saskatoon & District Parishes - May to October 2018
Saskatoon Dormition and District Parishes Information
Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the
Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
Sacred Heart – Hawruliuke
Sacred Heart – Vonda
St. John the Baptist – Smuts
St. John the Evangelist – Prud’homme
Ss. Peter & Paul – Bodnari
Ss. Peter & Paul – Borshchiw
St. Volodymyr – Laniwci
Saskatoon Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Administrator - Cudworth District
Administrator - North Battleford and Hafford District
Saskatoon, St. George's Cathedral
210 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4;
Telephone: (Office) 306-664-2301; (Res) 306-244-2604
Cell: 306-370-2866; (Rectory Office) 306-664-3459
Yamniuk, Deacon Myron
10th Street East and Munroe Avenue,
(Church Auditorium) 306-343-0033;
(Res) 1202-11th St. East, Saskatoon, SK S7H 0G3
Telephone: (Office) 306-343-6516
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, CSsR, Pastor
Smolinski, Very Rev. Michael, CSsR, Assistant Pastor
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2
Telephone:(Church) 306-652-4837; (Res) 306-477-1704; (Cell) 306-280-2941