Welechko – Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Welechko church of the Presentation constructed 1911,6 miles south of Hafford; R.M. 435.
WELECHKO — The church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1911 on a three acre site six miles south of Hafford. That year, on the holy day of the Ascension, Rev. Timofey Wasylewich, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the church. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations and celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church in 1954, 1956 and 1967.
The wooden structure is in the form of an elongated cross, 43 x 33 feet, with an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof and a centrally located small blind cupola. In 1959 the church was renovated and the
exterior was given a stucco finish. In the interior the church contains the main altar, which is separated from the nave by an iconostas, a choir loft, and wooden pews. Lighting is by candles and heating is by a wood burning heater. Construction of this church wag accomplished through the voluntary labour of all the parishioners under the foremanship of Ivan Sawyshyn of Radisson. The church site was donated by Ivan Welechko; hence the parish became known as the “Welechko” parish. Near the church is a wooden belfry. The parish cemetery is also on this site. During the winter months, the church is closed.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area m 1906 from the Stanyslaviv, Horodenka and Borshchiv counties. The parish was established by 21 founding members. The first founders of this parish were: Ivan Welechko, Ivan Wintonyk, Ivan Swidrowich, Ivan Kormish, Ivan Pluta, Ivan Yaremovych, Ivan Sawyshyn, Ivan Rawluk, Ivan Tsalyn (Salyn), Ivan Semko, Yas’ Yaremovych (Jaremowich), Nykola Petriv (Petrow), Stefan Betzkal, Mykhaylo Salyniuk, Konstantyn Kuzyk, Nykola Oschi-pok, Pylyp Bratko, Yurko Romansky, Volodyslav Gzybovsky (Grzybowski), Hryhor Kormish and Dmy-tro Tomyn. The first parish executive was formed in 1911 and consisted of the following: Ivan Sawyshyn, president; Ivan Welechko, organizer, Mykyta Kohut, secretary. In 1941 there were 14 families with 26 children (Prop. Knyha); in 1961, there were 50 souls (Directory), in 1967, 19 souls and in 1975, 7 families remained. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Roman Homenko, pastor, Mike Betzkal, Michael Gramiak and Paul Katerynych.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Welechko, is under the pastoral charge of Hafford.
Updated December 2020
The Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Welechko, falls under the Deanery of Saskatoon, under the pastoral charge of the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George-Saskatoon, which includes the North Battleford and Hafford District, with Very Reverend Janko Kolosnjaji as Parish Administrator.
Welechko Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
Welechko Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Church Bulletins & Website for St. George's Cathedral-Saskatoon & North Battleford/Hafford District
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Saskatoon
DEANERY (Protopresbyterate) OF SASKATOON
SASKATOON: ST. GEORGE'S CATHEDRAL
Nahachewsky, Very Rev. Ivan,
Vicar-General; Chancellor; Vicar of Eparchial Properties; Rector - Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George, Saskatoon; Military Chaplain
214 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4
Cell: 306-961-1390, Rectory Office: 306-664-3459
Yamniuk, Deacon Myron
10th Street East and Munroe Avenue,
(Church Auditorium) 306-343-0033;
(Res) 1202-11th St. East,
Saskatoon, SK S7H 0G3
Telephone: (Office) 306-343-6516
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, CSsR, Pastor
Dnistrian, Rev. Dmytro, CSsR, Assistant Pastor & Missionary
Telephone: Cell: 306-361-1555
Whitkow, Ascension of Our Lord
Administrator-Saskatoon: Dormition District
Saskatoon, Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2
(Res) 306-477-1704; (Cell) 306-280-2941
Borschiv, Ss. Peter and Paul
Hawryliuke, Sacred Heart
Prud'homme, St. John the Evangelist
Smuts/Prymove, St. John the Baptist
Telephone: (Rectory) 306-763-3645;
Alvena, St. Michael
Alvena Farms, Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary
Cudworth, Holy Eucharist (St. Michael’s Haven)
Gronlid, St. Michael
Humboldt, All Saints
Nipawin, All Saints
Rosthern Farms-Adamivka Descent of the Holy Spirit
Rosthern, Ss. Peter and Paul
Sokal, Holy Trinity
St. Julien, Patronage of Blessed Virgin Mary
Tway, Ss. Peter
Wakaw, Sacred Heart