Whitkow – Ascension of Our Lord (closed)
Church of the Ascension constructed 1944-1948, Vi mile north of Whitkow; R.M. 467.
WHITKOW — The church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the second church of the parish.
The first church was purchased in 1921 from a religious sect in the community for $290, relocated on parish property one-half mile north of the village and altered to the requirements of the Ukrainian Rite. The church was visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933. After serving the parish for twenty-three years, in 1944 it was dismantled and its salvaged material was utilized in the construction of a larger church. The present church was constructed between 1944 and 1948 and blessed on May 30, 1957 by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The wooden church stands at the foot of a small hill and was once surrounded by forests. It is in the form of an elongated cross, 66 x 48 feet, with a shingled central dome, a shingled roof and two front towers apexed by small cupolas. These cupolas, as well as the cupola above the central dome, are covered with white sheet metal. The church is east-west oriented with a west main entrance and an east sanctuary with the main altar and two adjoining sacristies which also exit to the church grounds. Two small side altars are along the lateral walls of the cross structure. The west choir loft extends above the vestibule and is reached by a stairway originating froni the nave. Both the exterior and interior walls have painted narrow wood siding. The interior cruciform ceiling is vaulted and extends into a large, well illuminated with windows, central dome. Wooden pews in the nave provide seating for approx. 140 persons. The church is lighted by candles and centrally heated by oil.
Construction of this church was accomplished through the financial contributions and voluntary labour of the parishioners who were directed by foreman J. Janishewski of Edmonton, Alberta, and the construction committee consisting of Stefan Hawryliuk, Wasyi Demyon and John Kowalchuk.
A wooden cross near the church commemorates the first Holy Mission of 1934 and subsequent missions taking place in 1952, 1956, 1960 and 1964. The parish cemetery is six miles north-west of the church on a one acre site donated by Toma Staschuk. A parish hall named after Taras Shevchenko is centrally located in the village.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1911, predominantly from the Sokal and Horodenka counties. The founding members of this parish were the following: Ivan Woytowich, Wasyi Woytowich, Stach Mar-chewka, Stefan Hawryliuk, Wasyi Demyon, Semen Dykiy, Ivan Rawlyk, Stefan Kowalchuk Vasyi, Kusyk, Toma Staschuk, Luka Lemecha and Andriy Tymofiy-chuk. The first Divine Liturgy in this area was celebrated by Rev. J. Fylyma. In 1941 the parish consisted of 22 members with 37 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 200 souls (Directory), in 1967, 119 souls and in 1975, 53 souls registered from the village and surrounding district in a radius of approximately thirty miles (quest.). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. B. Bachynsky, Pastor, Walter Iwanchuk, Stephen Rawlyk and Harry Demyon.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Whitkow, is under the pastoral charge of North Battleford.
The name Whitkow is an official geographic name of Ukrainian origin stemming from the village of Vytkiv of the Radekhiv county in Ukraine (J. B. Rudnyckyj:
Canadian Place Names of Ukrainian Origin, p. 22).
ASCENSION OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST CHURCH
The first church was purchased in 1921 from a religious sect in the community.
The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Rev. Joseph Fylyma. The church was visited by
Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933.
The following priests were: Rev. Peter Kamenecky, Rev. Ksenophont Rozdolski, Rev Nickolas Demkiv, Rev. Nestor Drohomyrecki, Rev. John Worona. In 1944, the church was dismantled.
The present church was constructed between 1944 and 1948, and blessed on May 30, 1957 by His Excellency Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
In 1976 the parish was under the pastoral charge of North Battleford. The following priests that served were: Rev. Bohdan Bachynsky, Rev. Anton Chabraczewski, M.S.F., Rev. Vladimir Mudri, Rev. Janko Kolosnjaji
A parish hall is centrally located in the village of Whitkow.
Whitkow Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ Church
Whitkow Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ Cemetery
Whitkow Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ OLD Cemetery
Bulletins for North Battleford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8730