Wishart Farms-St. Michael the Archangel (closed)
Church of St. Michael the Archangel constructed 1924, 5 miles north of Wishart; R.M. 277.
WISHART — The church of St. Michael is the second church of the parish.
The first church, completed m 1908, was located two miles north of Wishart on a three acre site donated by Yosyf Voynarovsky (Woynarski). This pioneer church, 20 x 16 feet, served the parish for sixteen years. In 1945 it was donated to the parish of Bankend. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, on January 21, 1908. The parish was honoured with four visits by Bishop Nicetas Budka who blessed the church in 1914.
The second church, constructed in 1924 for the sum of $12,000, is three miles north of the original site on property purchased from the CPR in 1923. Construction was directed by foreman 0. M. Slonetsky and the parish executive: Theodore Petryshyn, Michael Levchyshyn and Michael Humeniuk. Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church in 1932 and visited the parish in 1940. Rev. Thaddeus Krawchuk, CSSR, was ordained in this church by Bishop Andrew Roborecki of Saskatoon on July 17, 1960.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 78 x 48 feet, with a large windowless cupola at the axis of the intersecting arms. Both the church structure and the attached porch-vestibule have a gable roof. In the interior, the vaulted ceiling of the cruciform structure extends into a high central dome. The church contains a sanctuary with main altar, two sacristies, two side altars and a choir loft. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 100 persons. The church has electricity and central oil heating.
In 1958, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the parish, artist Theodore Baran of Saskatoon was commissioned to artistically decorate the church with murals and ornamentation.
The church site contains a bell tower built in 1916, a concrete memorial cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1939, and a parish hall constructed in 1936 with expansion in 1960 and named after Rev. Markian Shashkevych. The parish has two cemeteries; one is a three acre site near the church, the other is three miles south at the site of the first parish church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in 1907 from the Husia-tyn and Rava Rus’ka counties. Within a year, under the guidance of Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, they formed a parish and constructed a church. The founding members were: Mykhaylo Humeniuk, Theodore Wa-sylenko, Pylyp Moldowan, Mykhaylo Stefaniuk, Wasyi Kostiuk, Semko Kachur, Yosyf Bartoshewski, Hryhoriy Bzdel, Petro Onyskevich, Dmytro Bzdel, Hryhoriy Zylyk, Mykola Katuski, Theodore Petryshyn, Dmytro Yanushewski, Mykola Stolaryk, Stefan Petras, Volody-myr Lewandowski, Antin Lewandowski, Stefan Kara-kochuk, Oleksa Wasyliuk, Yakiw Dayday, Wasyi Shewchuk, Yosyf Chaykowsky and Mykhaylo Hawrys-chuk.
Throughout the years this parish has enriched the Ukrainian Catholic church with several vocations originating from this parish: Rev. Basil Humeniuk, Rev. Michael Bzdel, CSSR and Sr. Pauline Sianchuk, SMI, (Sr. Sofronia).
In 1941 the parish registered 100 families and a total of 240 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 200 souls (Directory), in 1967, 180 souls (quest.), and in 1975, 100 souls remained. The number of parishioners decreased significantly with the construction of a Ukrainian Catholic church in Wishart to which they transferred their memberships. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Leonard Ratushniak, CSSR, pastor, William Stephaniuk, Joseph Petryshen and Edward Lewandowski.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St Michael, Wishart (farms), is under the pastoral charge of Wynyard.
Update as of 2003 sees the parish with thirty active members. The parish directorship is Mr. Ron Kachur, president; Ms. Phyllis Lewandowski, secretary; Mr. John Kostiuk, treasurer
Wishart Farms St. Michael the Archangel Church
Wishart Farms St. Michael the Archangel Cemetery
Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Administrator, Wynyard District