Wishart Town – Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of the Assumption of the B.V.M. constructed 1958 in south-westerly Wishart; R.M. 277.
WISHART — The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.
The church, constructed in 1958, is located in the north-west part of Wishart on a level and partially treed site. Rev. M. Schudio, CSSR, served the first holy service, a Moleben to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the first Divine Liturgy in the uncompleted structure on August 14 and 15, 1958 respectively. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone of the church on August 26, 1962.
The rectangular church structure, 80 x 36 feet, has a shingled gable roof, two blind frontal cupolas covered with white sheet metal, exterior wood siding and rectangular windows. The church interior contains a rectangular sanctuary, two sacristies, a choir loft above the vestibule and the nave with wooden pews seating approx. 200 persons. The church basement serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities. The entire structure has electricity, central oil heating and plumbing facilities. The church was constructed by the contractor Masden of Ituna. The parishioners purchased the site for $200 and covered the construction costs, $18,000, through generous donations and voluntary labour.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1907 from the Husiatyn and Rava Rus’ka counties. The settlers who moved from the neighbouring countryside into the village of Wishart were served by the Redemptorist Fathers of Yorkton and holy services were held at a local Roman Catholic church.
On January 22, 1950, at a meeting held at the home of Peter Ewanski, the parishioners decided to construct a church and selected the construction committee with: Alex Federko, president; Michael Wasylenko, vice-president; David Moleski, secretary; Michael Yan-eshewski, treasurer; Peter Ewanski, John Pasternak and Olena Moleski, auditors. Also present at this meeting were: Joseph Pasternak, John Humeniuk, Alex Dublan-ica, William Latoski and Josephine Yurchak.
At the time of church construction, the parish consisted of 15 members. In 1961 there were 130 individuals and in 1975, 41 families were registered from Wishart and surrounding area in a radius of approximately fifteen miles. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Leonard Ratushniak, CSSR, pastor, John Bashutski, David Moleski, and Mac Kucey.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Wishart is under the pastoral charge of Wynyard.
Wishart Town Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Wishart Town Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George