Wolverine – Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)
Church of the Patronage of the B.V.M. constructed 1953, 6 miles north of Wolverine; R.M. 340.
WOLVERINE — The church of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the third church of the parish.
Ukrainian settlers in the Wolverine district constructed the first chapel church, 24 x 12 feet, in 1913; the one acre church site was purchased in 1912 with assistance from Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR. The church was blessed by Rev. Ambrose Redkewich and served the faithful until 1925. When it was dismantled, its salvaged material was utilized in the construction of the second church on a three acre site six miles north of Wolverine; this new site was four miles east of the original site. Bishop Nicetas Budka blessed the church in 1926. In 1952 the church was sold and a year later was moved onto the property of the newly formed Lanigan parish. The succeeding Wolverine parish church was constructed in 1953 near the second church site. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and blessed the church on August 6, 1961.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 60 x 30 feet, on a high concrete basement with two frontal towers apexed by cupolas. Its walls have imitation stone asphalt siding and contain wide windows with arched summits while its gable roof is shingled and contains a cross at the frontal summit. The church is east-west oriented; the west main entrance and adjoining porch-vestibule are reached by a series of steps while the east elevated sanctuary has north and south adjoining sacristies. A small porch adjoining the south sacristy serves as an additional outside entrance into the sacristy and church basement.
In the interior, the sanctuary church patron representation and the two traditional holy images on corresponding sides of the sanctuary are glass mounted oil prints. The church contains a choir loft reached by a stairway at the south wall of the nave in which wooden pews seat approx. 80 persons. It has electrical lighting and central oil heating. The wooden linoleum-covered floor is carpeted before the main altar and at the center aisle. All lower wall areas have imitation wood panelling; upper wall areas, including the vaulted ceiling, are finished with painted donnacona.
The parishioners constructed the church through voluntary labour, private monetary contributions and funds received from the sale of their second church. From the initial decision to construct the church to its final completion, the pastors of the parish were: Rev. Stephen Borys, Rev. Theophile Hurko, Rev. Andrew Choronzy and Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. The parish executives during this period were headed by: Steve Bryck, Nick Lenyk, Steve Bay, Nick Huculak, Leon Bay, Moe Bay, Peter Huculak, Fred Syrotuik, Paul Bay, John Hrynkiw and Mike Bay.
Near the church stands a concrete bell tower which was constructed in 1953 and blessed in 1954. The parish cemetery is nearby in continuation of the church grounds; the original parish cemetery is at the first chapel site.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1905 predominantly from the Borshchiv and Yavoriv counties and was initiated by the construction of a railway to Humboldt. The founding members of the parish were:
Mykola Byj (Nick Bay), Danylo Nakoneshny, Petro Stadnichuk, Mykhaylo (Mike) Dopko Sr., Fedir Huculak, liko Sichkarek, Hryhoriy (Harry) Krisa, Ivan (John) Huculak, Stefan (Steve) Byj Sr., Semen (Sam) Dopko, Yakiv Fedorchuk, Atanaziy (Tom) Lenyk, Wasyi Kajanoski, Petro Grezorowski, Hryts Moskalyk, Nykola Wilkoshevski, Nykola (Nick) Wilkowski, Roman Liniuk and Simon Leanow. The first president of the parish executive was Nykola Wilkowski who was succeeded by liko Sichkarek and others. Construction of the second church was executed under the foreman-ship ofAndriy (Andrew) Senko and Stefan Byj Sr. (50th anniversary). The first pastors to serve the settlers were Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR, and Rev. Henry Boels, CSSR.
In 1941 the parish registered 60 members with 237 youth (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 180 souls (Directory), and in 1975 there were 24 members. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Andrew Choronzy, pastor, Nick Lenyk, Mike Sawicki, Theodore (Ted) Stadnyk, Kenneth Senko, John Hrynkiw, Joe Syroteuk, and Nick Kuzyk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Wolverine, is under the pastoral charge of Humboldt.
Wolverine Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary OLD Cemetery
Wolverine Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
Wolverine Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Administrator - Humboldt, All Saints
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8730