Wroxton-Farms – Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)
Church of SS. Vladimir and Olga constructed 1909, 2’A miles north of Wroxton; R.M. 241.
WROXTON — The church of SS. Vladimir and Olga is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1909 on a hilly four acre site two and one-half miles north of Wroxton near Highway No. 8. It was reconstructed and renovated in 1949. Bishop Nicetas Budka made four parish visitations and blessed the church in 1913. Subsequent episcopal visitations were made by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1935 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki’in 1955. This parish, one of the few in the Eparchy, had the distinguished honour of hosting The Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky who celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on November 14, 1910. There were five vocations to the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate from the parish: Sisters Rita, Vitalia, Serafyma, Emanuela and Apolonia.
The wooden cruciform structure, 48 x 28 feet, has small lateral projections forming an elongated cross which is 16 feet wide in each arm. Its original central dome was replaced by two small domes above the front towers. The church is oriented east-west with an east elevated main altar and a west choir loft which is entered from the nave. The main entrance is through a gabled adjoining porch-vestibule. The interior contains a vaulted ceiling, a wooden floor and pews which seat approx. 100 persons. Lighting is by candles and heating is by wood. The church was constructed for $1,800 through the voluntary labour of the parishioners, directed by the Semeniulc brothers, on the homestead of Iv. Lutsky (Lucky).
A mission cross near the church dates to 1937, The concrete single bell tower is a replica of one found in the village of Sukhostav, Ukraine, whence came some of the first settlers. Three and a half acres of the site are used for the parish cemetery.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1896 from the Horodenka and Husiatyn counties. The founding members of the parish were: Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, Dm. Wonitoway, Hnat. Dzubinski, V. Shwaga, M. Derbowka, Iliya Bahrey. M. Beck, On. Beck, Ya. Strutynski, N. Salyn, Fed. Swerhun, N. Barabash, N. Malayney, M. Perepeluk, P. Podollan, Iv. Tataryn, Prokip Lushney, On. Schab, Iv. Swerhun, N. Swerhun, Yu. Salyn, M. Salyn, Iv. Lucky, S. Lucky, Fed. Perepeluk, Yu. Bilyk, Hr. Derworiz, Harasym Hyshka, Petro Dubnyk, Iv. Antochow, Hnat. Kereliuk, N. Dubnyk, Iv. Tymchuk, M. Galay, Kyfa Fedoruk, Les Wintonyk, V. Zacharuk, Iv. Zacharuk, Petro Zypchyn, And. Yarosky, V. Minchuk, H. Ninowski, Marian Angelski, H. Metiash, H, Prystayko, H. Deneka, P. Mysko and Iv. Tataryn.
In 1941 there were 60 families with 100 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 70 souls (Directory). Beginning in 1965, the parishioners registered in neighbouring parishes, particularly the Wroxton-village parish. Holy services in this church are held annually on the feastday of the church patron.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish ofSS. Vladimir and Olga, Wroxton, continues to remain under the pastoral charge of Melville.