Ref. # 72
November 8, 2023
Decree of Suppression and Union
A. The Second Vatican Council, in its decree on the Pastoral Ministry of Bishops, Christus Dominus, 32, affirmed the perennial teaching of a Bishop’s responsibility for the care of souls of those living in his diocese/eparchy. He is to see to the spiritual wellbeing of persons by the establishment, suppression, and/or modification of parishes when it is opportune to do so. CCEO c. 280.
B. As a result of the dismantling of the church building and the pending transfer of the vacant real property registered in the name of the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of Ascension at Meacham, Saskatchewan of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon (herein “Ascension – Meacham”) and the proposed civil dissolution of the parish corporation, there are no sacred items or assets nor are there any liabilities known to be subsisting regarding that parish.
C. The closest parish to serve the faithful living in that area is the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of All Saints at Humboldt, Saskatchewan of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon (All Saints – Humboldt”) and the administrator of All Saints – Humboldt, Fr. Andrei Kachur, has agreed to have the territory of / has been consulted regarding having the territory of All Saints – Humboldt merged with that of Ascension – Meacham such that the care of any souls within that territory would fall under his mandate.
D. There has been consultation with the Presbyteral Council of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon regarding the suppression of the Ascension – Meacham and the union of that parish territory with All Saints – Humboldt at a duly constituted meeting held Novem ber 2, 2023, with unanimous consent having been given.
Now therefore, I, the undersigned Apostolic Administrator of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon, make the following Decree:
1. That pursuant to CCEO c. 280, Ascension-Meacham, is suppressed, and the territory of that former Parish is merged with the territory of All Saints – Humboldt.
2. All the Christian Faithful ascribed to the Ukrainian Catholic Church who have domicile or quasi-domicile in the territory of the former parish, Ascension – Meacham, now belong to All Saints -Humboldt.
3. Fr. Andrei Kachur will remain the administrator of All Saints – Humboldt.
4. I order the promulgation of this Decree through its publication on the Eparchial website.
5. This Decree will take effect on November 8, 2023.
May the Christ our Lord, through the powerful prayers and intercession of the Mother of God, continue to provide rich blessings to the parishioners of All Saints – Humboldt.
Given at the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon, under my signature and seal and bearing the countersignature of the Chancellor,
Most Rev. Lawrence Huculak, OSBM
Apostolic Administrator of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon
Fr. Ivan Nahachewsky, Chancellor