Church of the Descent of the Holy Ghost constructed 1913, 3-1/2 miles south of Candiac; R.M. 126.
CANDIAC — The church of the Holy Ghost is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1913 on a hilly countryside three and one-half miles south of Candiac. Episcopal visitations were made by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1917 and 1922, Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933 and 1939 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1956, 1963, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the parish, and in 1973.
The church, on a low concrete basement, is a rectangular structure with rectangular windows, a gable roof and one small cupola above the sanctuary area. In 1951 the church was enlarged to an interior measurement of 64 x 22 feet. The carpeted, elevated sanctuary and main altar are separated from the nave by an iconostas. An adjoining sacristy exits to the church grounds. The nave contains wooden pews and a stairway leading to the choir loft above the small, portal-vestibule. The church has electricity and central gas heating. It was constructed by voluntary labour and financial donations of all parishioners during the pastorate of Rev. H. Boels, CSSR. Foreman of the construction was Ivan Dusyk. In 1918, during the pastorate of Rev. Kaluzniacki, Havrylo Wasyliw artistically decorated and painted the church. Land for the church and cemetery site was donated by Ivan Kotyliuk.
A belfry with a single bell was constructed near the church in 1913. A metal mission cross on a concrete base was installed in 1974. The parish cemetery is also near the church. The “Ukrainian Greek Catholic National Home”, across the road, was constructed in 1918.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area prior to 1895 from the Yavoriv county. They formed a parish in 1913 under the leadership of Basile Stopanski, Andriy Romanow, Ivan (John) Dusyk and Ivan Kotyliuk. Prior to the construction of the church, holy services were held in private homes and were served by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, Rev. H. Boels, CSSR, and Rev. N. M. Descamps. CSSR. (Jubilee Book. Rev. E. Tremblay). The parish had fifteen founding members. In 1941 there were 62 members with 75 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 75 souls (Directory), and in 1975, 23 members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of the following: Rev. E. Tremblay, CSSR, pastor, John Lesiuk, Joseph Gilewich. Andrew Stopanski and Frank Romanow.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Ghost, Candiac, is under the pastoral charge of Montmartre.
Candiac - Descent of the Holy Ghost Church and Cemetery
Bulletins for Montmartre - Southeast District Parishes
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Yorkton
DEANERY (Protopresbyterate) OF YORKTON
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Pastor, Dean
Canora, Ss. Peter and Paul (Res)
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist Parish
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Norquay, Sacred Heart of Jesus
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Wynyard, SK S0A 1N0
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Beaver Dale, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
REGINA - ST. ATHANSIUS-MOOSE JAW DISTRICT
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl
Administrator - Moose Jaw District
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Chaplin-Thunder Creek, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; Cell: 306-590-7900