Church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1952 in westerly Kuroki; R.M. 336.
KUROKI — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
“In 1934, during the pastorate of Rev. S. Semczuk, they purchased a two acre site, later they acquired an old church from the Latin rite community and moved it unto their own property . . .” Prop. Knyha p. 237. In 1952 the church was sold to the parish at Watson and a new one was constructed. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone on June 7, 1958. His Beatitude Cardinal Patriarch Josyf Slipyj honoured this church with a visit on July 12, 1968.
The church is partially surrounded by a forest and spreads gracefully at the side of a hill in westerly Kuroki. It is a wood constructed cruciform structure measuring 60 x 32 feet with a height of 42 feet. It has a large central dome apexed by a cupola and one-armed metal cross, a small frontal dome supported by a corresponding in size tower with four rectangular windows, and two additional cupolas above the two frontal towers. The rectangular windows along the lateral walls and above the main entrance of the structure are grouped in a series of three and have arched summits; an ornamental character is achieved by the higher vaulting of the central window. Both the exterior and interior are finished in narrow wood siding and are painted.
The church is east-west oriented with an east rectangular sanctuary and main altar, adjoined by a north sacristy, and a west vestibule and choir loft. Two small side altars dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer are found along the lateral walls of the cruciform nave in which wooden pews provide seating for approx. 130 persons. The interior is dominated by vaulted ceilings and a large well-illuminated central dome. The church has electricity and central heating. West of the church and across the road extends the one acre parish cemetery.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in the area of this parish in 1926. The parish was founded in 1930 by V. Kucherepa, W. Woloshyn, J. Woloshyn, Orest Ture-vych and M. Sokalsky. That year, Rev. S. Bach-talowsky, CSSR, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy at the home of W. Woloshyn. Subsequent holy services, until the construction of the church, were held in the community school or the Roman Catholic church.
In 1941 the parish registered 11 families with 20 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 90 souls (Directory), and in 1975, 25 families. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Casimir Kucharek, pastor, Tony Woloshyn, Metro Daviduk, Borden Ba-tiuk, Metro Panasiuk and William Woloshyn.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Kuroki is under the pastoral charge of Rama.
Kuroki Ss. Peter & Paul Church and Cemetery
Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach – Patronage of the B. V. M.
Buchanan – Holy Spirit
Chekhiv – Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell – Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor – Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv – St. Demetrius
Invermay – Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny) – Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv – St. Demetrius
Preeceville – Transfiguration
Rama – Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw) – Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes – St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnieper (Dnipro), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki – Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi) – St. Nicholas
Fenwood - Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm - Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town - St. Michael
Hubbard – Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town - Holy Cross
Kelliher - St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0