Tuffnell Village – Holy Trinity (closed)
Church of the Holy Trinity acquired 1951 and located in Tuffhell; R.M. 276.
TUFFNELL — The church of the Holy Trinity is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1924 on a one and a half acre site three miles north of Tuffnell. The site was purchased from Adam Stopyra for the sum of $25. Construction of the church was carried out by parish volunteers under the foremanship of M. Raina and I. Zhmyrka. Total construction costs, $720, were covered by the parishioners’ voluntary contributions. In 1932 and in 1940 the parish church was visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka. In 1950 the church structure was sold; the site was retained for the parish cemetery.
The present church was purchased from the United Church at Foam Lake in 1951 and relocated at Tuffnell on a three lot site donated by Peter Oleksiuk. Total costs incurred were $2,700. In this church Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Bishop Andrew Roborecki on June 7, 1953, August 12, 1962 and August 16, 1970.
The church is a south-north oriented wood constructed rectangular structure measuring 59 x 28 feet. The elevated sanctuary is dominated by a vaulted ceiling and has two adjoining sacristies. Wooden pews in the nave provide seating for approx. 70 persons. There is a choir loft which can be reached by a stairway originating in the nave. The ceiling above the choir loft and nave is angulated and rises high into the gables of the roof. An adjoining porch with a low gable roof serves as the vestibule. The church has electricity and a central coal heating system. The wooden belfry near the church was constructed in 1955; the bell was donated by Anna Mandrona.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1905 from the village of Bartativ in the Horodok county. Prior to construction of the first church holy services were held in private homes. The first Divine Liturgy in the parish was celebrated by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, on December 2, 1909, at the home of Zakhar Vynnychuk. The founding members of the parish were: M. Sawchuk, Dan Vasylyshyn (Wasylyshen), M. Raina, Ilia Zhmyr-ko, Kost Orlowsky, Adam Stopyra, Iv. Kaminsky, T. Meschy, Kl. Orlowsky, Irena Wasylyshen, Zakhar Vynnychuk (Winnichuk), Teo. Mykytsey, Yulian Ukrainets, P. Stakhiv (Stakiw), S. Rostytsky, I. Sovyk, Valent Stopyra and Yosefa Tabish. In 1941 the parish consisted of 20 members with 50 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 70 souls (Directory), in 1967, 30 souls, and in 1975, 5 families and 3 single members, a total of 25 souls, were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Michael Schudio, CSSR, pastor, Roman Stec, Peter Byblow and Steve Kozak.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Trinity, Tuffnell, is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.
Tuffnell Village Holy Trinity Cemetery
Tuffnell Village Holy Trinity Church
Yorkton District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist Parish
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Olesha, Sacred Heart of Jesus
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge, St. Nicholas
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Wadena, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Melville, St. George